Return to the Garden Clinic Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Black Spots on Pindo Palm

Posted by ylmzm 9b (My Page) on
Sun, Oct 6, 13 at 18:04

Two of my butia capitata palms developed black spots on the stems and leaves of the lower branches. Afterwards, the branches turn yellow and die. The spots are spreading to more and more branches. I sprayed them with liquid copper three times with a week interval in between, but it did not seem to slow it down.
Out of 8 palms, the two that I mentioned have about 30% of the foliage affected, another 3 palms have very few spots that do not seem to spread, and the rest are not affected. All are pushing new leaves and seem ok otherwise. I planted the palms this summer from 5 gal pots.

Any idea what it is and how it can be fixed?

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Black Spots on Pindo Palm

and here is another image of the stem:

o

no plant holds it leaves forever ...

the lowest.. are usually the oldest..

and this is why ALL palms are limbed up annually .. [probably a better term than that]

simply remove the old leave.. and your problem is gone ..

no need to do anything else ..

ken

o

Thanks. That what I thought at the beginning. The problem is that one of the palms already lost more than 50% of its leaves. Judging by my other palms, I don't think it is normal.

o

ylmzm, the palm is a very conservative (if you will pardon the expression) plant. It will drag nutrients out of the older leaves and translocate them to where nutrients are needed. That is why, in commercial farms, fronds are allowed to go quite brown before they are removed.
If the symptoms are present on younger fronds you might have a deficiency to deal with.

This post was edited by ronalawn82 on Sat, Oct 12, 13 at 20:02

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Clinic Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here