Return to the Garden Clinic Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Calathea problems, please help

Posted by ginalee78 none (My Page) on
Wed, Oct 5, 11 at 18:56

I'm somewhat new to plants. I purchased a calathea (peacock plant) a couple weeks ago and I am now experiencing a host of problems. Please help me.

1. The leaves are browning in spots....I concluded that it must be a fungal infection and sprayed it with an organic fungacide last week. The brown spots keep happening. See photo.
(I also noticed, when the calathea folds up for the evening, that the stems on the back of the leaf also seem to be damaged.)

2. A few days ago, I noticed tiny (barely visible) white bugs crawling on the leaves. I'm not sure what they are...they don't quite look fuzzy enough to be mealy bugs and they move around too fast to be aphids. Can anyone help me? I purchased Bayer sticks but that is not arriving for two days.

I'm devestated that my beautiful calathea is having so many problems...

Image link: Calathea problems, please help (49 k)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Calathea problems, please help

The browning is quite likely to be just shock from a change in environment. Different light (too sunny), humidity or temperature. Plants growing in an environment adapt to it and can suffer when the environment changes suddenly. You chose a pretty tough customer for someone somewhat new to plants. These plants aren't the easiest things to grow, they are fussy about light drafts etc. I am not an expert on Calathea, but know they get a few leaf spot diseases. You can take samples and send them to your local extension service. It is somewhat pointless to treat with fungicide if you don't identify the problem. A fungicide that kills one fungus can have absolutely no affect on another. The bugs could be White Fly or juvenile leaf Hoppers but without Pictures of the bugs it is hard to tell. Look these two up on the web and see if they look like one of them.

o
RE: Calathea problems, please help

Thanks for your response. I don't think the bugs are leaf hoppers or white fly because what I have is extremely small. It's barely visible to the naked eye. Therefore, even if I took a photo of the bugs, you would not be able to see them.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Clinic Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here