Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ashleync_gw

New yard-- newbie -- spiders and black fungus?

AshleyNC
9 years ago

Hello!

We recently (two weeks tomorrow) moved into a house which is about 12 years old. We love the yard, but it needs ALOT of work. One issue is that there seem to be a ton of spiders. I havent seen any brown recluse, but I'm sure they are around. Mostly Wolf spiders and some others I haven't identified-- rather large ones-- but not brown recluse. When we walk through the grass in the evening I can literally see them scatter (the grass needs work, bald spots). Heebie Jeebies! We have a 3 year old, active and curious and he loves running barefoot. I know spiders are a necessary part of it -- but I'm tempted to call the exterminator it just seems it's been just uncontrolled too long. Thoughts? We had spiders in Wisconsin were we lived before, but nothing like this and we had quite a few there.

The other issues is a patch of a black powdery substance that almost smokes if you pour water on it. I noticed it bc my three year old scooped it up and threw it and it made a cloud of smoke/dust. It was definitely not dirt. I suspect some mold or fungus? I did immediately wash his hands as throughly as possible.

Thanks is advance for all advice! We are starting at square 1!

Comments (8)

• Pyewacket
    9 years ago

If there are that many spiders, one wonders just what they are eating - that will come out in force - if they were suddenly all to disappear ...

Not that that would stop me. Spiders give me the creeps, plus I'm allergic to them.

Perhaps hacking stuff down will reduce the population of both predator and prey? I'd keep the kidlet in shoes in the meantime, no matter how much he likes to run about barefoot, until things are under control.

I have no clue re the black stuff. Pictures?

• Kimmsr
    9 years ago

Spiders are part of an insect pest control program and are not the real problem, although they may be a symptom that there is a problem if the population is really large.
    In spite of the advertising many "pest" control companies do about spiders there is no good reason to have one spray, or spend money on sprays, to control them. Most of the products used to control spiders are more of a health hazard to you and your child.
    That "black fungus" powder could have been the remains of a puffball mushroom, or something else. It depends on where in the yard it was and what is growing there.

• AshleyNC
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Zensojouner & kimmsr you are right -- question is what are they eating. The yard backs up to a wooded area. But the birds don't get over by the house much, so the spiders are safe. Luckily, we don't have (knock on wood) bugs inside -- except two spiders, both wolf spiders.

Is this time of year a time known for spider babies? It seems like there are tons of baby wolf spiders.

The yard was really overgrown in the back we just cut it all down and trimmed all the bushes. Maybe that will help with the spiders.

There were mushrooms growing in that area were the black stuff is, I'll take a picture today. I've never seen a puffball mushroom - so I wouldn't have recognized it. But that very well could have been what it was.

So as far as overall pest control -- any ideas other than keeping stuff trimmed?

Thanks!

• roxanna
    9 years ago

you mentioned not having many birds near the house, so you might start attracting them closer by putting up feeders and water sources (bird baths). just a thought....

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    9 years ago

i dont know your area ...

but i have two thoughts ...

first.. you said.. it needs a lot of work ... so i imply.... infer ... that this jungle was basically abandoned for a few years ... let me suggest.. simply being there... and taking command of the yard will start to solve the problem ... e.g. ... if the lawn is mowed weekly ... and kept short.. like a lawn is supposed to be.. they are going to not being hanging out in the lawn ... so simply by mowing.. you are taking control ...

same thought with overgrown gardens and bushes ...

and do keep in mind.. spiders are most apparent .. in fall ... thats when we get these kind of posts... and that is because.. they have had all summer to grow and mature. ... sooner or later ... even in your zone.. winter will come.. and the populations will ebb ... simply based on the cycles of the season ... so i would highly recommend not going with the nuclear option this late in fall ...

perhaps this is not a proper suggestion for NC .. i dont know ...

a quick call to your LOCAL COUNTY extension office.. might get you some very LOCAL pertinent information on the current populations of any given plague.. maybe its just been a big year for them.. in your area .... and you might ask a new neighbor... if its in their yard also ... again.. to find out if its not just your jungle ....

as for the crumb muncher ... teaching them to respect such.. is much easier than eradicating .... and for sure.. at that age... give them a baggie of goldfish crackers as you launch them out the door.. and teach them to eat NOTHING in the yard ... and to bring back the empty bag ... and mommy will fill it up when they want more ... believe it or not.. that are very malleable at that age.. and a lot smarter than given credit for .... and if youa re giving out food.. they will be back ... lol ... for about 16 years min ... lol ..

as to mushrooms and their ilk ... i consider them a free show of ma nature ... they are one of ma natures decompsers .... there is simply no downside to them.... most of the time... they are decomposing rotting wood under the surface... or on old used up mulch ... its interesting to learn what they are ... but there is little to do.. to be rid of them.. so go zen.. and accept them ...basically.. the same with the spiders .... [i suspect you might find a big dead stump somewhere out there... and the pattern of the shrooms/fungus its its dead root mass]

enjoy your new yard ... but do keep in mind.. it is going to be winter... even in NC ...

ken

• Pyewacket
    9 years ago

Just cutting back an overgrown jungle will reduce the population of both the spiders AND whatever they've been eating.

Also, creepy as I find spiders to be (a feeling no doubt influenced by the fact that I'm allergic to them), they are actually generally fairly shy critters. If the place has been empty/abandoned - and now you are there and active, cutting back overgrowth, just being present - that will make them at least less visible over time.

I'm sorry but leaving trails as they run through the grass from you is TOO MANY SPIDERS, no matter how wonderfully Natural and Earthy it is supposed to be.

I've lived in NC and did not find it to be any more prone to infestations of the 8-legged beasties than anywhere else I've ever lived. So hopefully keeping things cut and trimmed will reduce the problem to something a little less creepy.

I second attracting birds to the yard. Besides cutting down on insect populations (and thereby reducing spider populations secondarily, and maybe even primarily if they eat the actual spiders), its just nice to have birds around.

Well, except for English House Sparrows. And grackles. And starlings. And cowbirds. And mockingbirds. But most of the rest are nice.

I'd still put little Munchkin in shoes until things look more normal to you. Kidlets just don't understand that Nature didn't MEAN to hurt them when things like spider bites happen. And with that many spiders around, it is not unlikely that Munchkin may accidentally step where a frightened spider was trying to hide.

• Kimmsr
    9 years ago

Puffballs come in many sizes and shapes although they do have one common characteristic, they release their spores
    (seeds) in a cloud.
    The spiders are there because it is a good habitat and, apparently, provides adequate amounts of food for them. Spiders that spin webs are pretty passive because they wait for something to get caught in that web while others, such as the wolf spider, are more aggressive and catch their prey. Spiders do lay eggs about now for next years crop and most often these egg cases will be in sheltered locations and can be cleaned out now to reduce the numbers next year.
    Spiders in our house are usually trapped and flushed.

Here is a link that might be useful: puffballs

• AshleyNC
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hi all--

All of your thoughts are so helpful. We put up a bird feeder yesterday. The spiders do not seem as bad during midday-- early evening time seems to be when they are the worst. And the temperatures are dropping some this week, so I think we will continue to cut and trim and wait it out for a bit. I'm just thankful that so far, this seems to be an outside issue!

I'm still worried about the many young wolf spiders, but hopefully with cold weather they will diminish. We will see what we do in the Spring!

Thanks for all of the advice!

oh and my son is wearing shoes for now anyway, not without protest-- but the thought of stepping on spiders has convinced him for now. He also thinks we should call spiderman to come take care of the spiders. (: