Return to the Garden Clinic Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
squash bugs on cantelope vines now!

Posted by vieja z7NM (My Page) on
Tue, Oct 1, 13 at 19:04

The zucchini plants have been pulled but now I see squash bugs on the melon vines!!! Have they just gone from one thing to another & not plant specific?

-M

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: squash bugs on cantelope vines now!

Melons are important members of the same botanical family as your zucchini...Cucurbitaceae. The squash bugs ARE feeding on types of squash....called melons. Makes no difference to them....it's the same family.

o

so what ....

how big is the population ..

and how much season do you have left ..

a few bugs are not going to generate a killing population.. before mother nature takes down the plant..

and if so.. what need be done????

i dont know NM ... so i am just throwing out a variable.. w/o an answer ...

maybe rhiz will now.. if you give us the facts ....

ken

o

Thank you! I guess I have been lucky in that the squash bugs just kept to the squash- & not the melons- in previous years! The melons are about finished so will not bother with the squash bugs this Fall. I have had some success with planting the zucchini seeds late-. June 1- & not having any bugs (supposedly by June the eggs have been laid & bugs gone to older plants?!) but it hasn't always worked!
Bugs, bugs,,,(!!) : been years though since I have seen a tomato horn worm ... even now that we no longer have chickens that loved them!

o

Control of these pests now is as important as control in the spring since the adult Squash bugs do overwinter in the garden or nearby. Some will tell you to clear out all plant debris from the garden which will then eliminate hiding places for these pests, but that also eliminates places for any beneficials to over winter.

Here is a link that might be useful: About Squash Bugs

o

kimmsr:
I see that 'stink bugs' can resemble squash bugs? Am sure I have squash bugs but they too smell awful when criushed! Guess I shouldn't be layering leaves in the Fall on the garden unless I can mulch them in well?

o

any chance of pictures?

o

FYI.......lots of insects stink to high heaven when killed or even touched.

o

jean001: The squash bugs may now be gone as the temps. have fallen & I have pulled up most of the melons & all of the squash plants already; if I do find some of them, I will try & get a photo to send on this site!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Clinic Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here