Return to the Garden Clinic Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
White spots on underside of leaves

Posted by lithven none (My Page) on
Tue, Oct 2, 12 at 21:04

Hello all,

I'm hoping someone can help me identify the cause of / correct an issue I have where the underside of the leaves on my cayenne pepper plant has a lot of small (pin point size) white spots / bumps. The plant is growing in a pot indoors. I also have some habanero peppers grow next to the cayenne plant and they seem to be getting some similar spots, but not quite as bad yet.

Any ideas? Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: White spots on underside of leaves

for what its worth.. it looks like aphids ... hard to tell at that magnification ...

google such.. and see if you can confirm or deny

ken

o

Let's have some more details....if they are aphids, they will be very squishable. Are they? Does it brush away with your fingers? What's it taste like? (just kidding on that one)

If this was a picture of impatiens, I'd say that we were looking at an early case of Downy Mildew. I don't how that disease presents itself on pepper.

o

Thanks for the input so far. It doesn't move and doesn't brush off. If plants got goose bumps or rashes that would be how I'd describe it. That's how it feels and looks. Another way to describe it would be like if someone ran a perforation tool over the leaves.

Thanks for any other advice.

o

I urge you to contact your extension office for help on this. Do you know where your county office is? I'd suggest that you call the office and ask if you can email your images directly to the university diagnostic clinic. With Extension budgets slashed over the years, you never know who might be on call to answer questions.

I suspect that these are calcium oxalate crystals, reported in literature for peppers.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Clinic Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here