Return to the Garden Clinic Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Brown powdery stuff growing on soil?

Posted by vr46 none (My Page) on
Wed, Oct 17, 12 at 21:16

I planted a whole bunch of redpepper seeds in multiple containers. Some of those containers were from cut up juice boxes. One of them, just one of four planted in a juice box is growing at the same rate but there is this brown powdery substance on the surface of the soil. I thought maybe it was residue from the iced tea in the box so i cleaned it out and replaced the soil and replanted in the same box. A few days later the brown stuff is there again. It sort of looks like powdered ice tea and when I water the plant some of the brown powder floats up into the air.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Brown powdery stuff growing on soil?

What was your planting medium made of?
I sometimes have seen, in containers where a peat moss based planting medium was used, a similar powdery brown substance would float to the surface.

o

next time.. go buy some small plastic cups.. solo cups ... cut 3 holes in the bottom edge with a razor blade .. and use those ... rather than wax paper boxes ... there is no way to sterilize such ...

and we need to know your media ... a very high peat media.. will probably lead to failure ... its probably ground peat.. not iced tea.. once added to water.. dry ice tea will not turn back to powder ... since there is no freeze drying going on ...

and did you really mean that watering makes it float in the AIR???

ken

o

• Posted by vr46 none (My Page) on
    Mon, Oct 22, 12 at 23:29

The soil is mostly peat (afaik) and some "quick grow" stuff as well. I get soil in 1 or 2L plastic packs here in Hong Kong and most of the info is in Chinese.

I just now took a quick look and noticed some brown, disk shaped things growing on the surface.

@ken - Yeah, when i spray it with water, it disturbs the powdery stuff and it blows out into the air.

o

That soil sounds like it's comprised of too many fine particles, dust. I would try to find something more chunky, less hydrophobic than peat.

o

Or, there is some type of fungus growing in the medium, which is either a powdery type or gives off powdery spores. It is not necessarily harmful if the plant seems to grow OK. In fact, many fungi have been proven to enhance the growth of various plants when grown together. So I wouldn't worry about it unless the plant seems to be damaged.

o

Agreed. But the cultural conditions that allow fungus to grow are often not good for plant roots.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Clinic Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here