Return to the Garden Clinic Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Long green bug.. squish it or not?

Posted by cheezdoodle12 6 (My Page) on
Thu, Oct 4, 12 at 21:26

Does anyone know what bug this is? I thought maybe an assassin bug but not sure now... there are too many similar pictures. It's about an inch long not counting the antenna.

Is it a good bug or bad bug for a small patio garden? I have mums (which I will be getting rid of soon), spinach and radishes in containers. We've also been seeing stink bugs recently.. and now this one!! Yuk! (I won't really squish it but not sure I want it around..)

Thanks, Laura

Green bug

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Long green bug.. squish it or not?

Not an assassin bug, maybe a green lacewing?

o

one bug is not worthy of any reaction ... organic.. chemical .. nor squishing ...

mother nature is not sterile .. you need not rid her of every bug ...

its the plagues .. yearly spikes in population .... where a reaction becomes requisite ...

ken

o

Not an assassin bug and not a lacewing...I'm thinking along the lines of Orthoptera...maybe a tree cricket nymph, or something similar?

Leave it.

Here is a link that might be useful: Click here for comparison

o

A snowy tree cricket. Not a problem.

o

Thanks everyone!! I don't know what made me think assassin bug.. maybe just because it sounds like such a bad one to have around. I guess in time I'll learn what's what.. lol. I don't like spiders either, but if they eat aphids or other bad bugs, they're ok in my book :)

o

Assassin bugs are considered beneficial, in case you don't know. They feed on other insects.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Clinic Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here