Return to the Garden Clinic Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Sick Lilac Bushes

Posted by madcatsmom MA (My Page) on
Sun, Oct 16, 11 at 21:35

Anyone know what's wrong with my lilacs and what to do with them?

Image link: Sick Lilac Bushes (48 k)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Sick Lilac Bushes

Lilacs are subject to several different leaf diseases. Most of which are not serious under normal conditions.
Some leaf diseases are not easily distinguishable to leaf damage caused by physiological factors. We need to know when were they planted, is this the first year you have seen this, what fertilizers, weed killers might have been used around the plant, when did you first see this. Leaf diseases that occur at the end of the season frequently are not a problem. For now I would clean up fallen leaves and take some samples from the bush and send them to your local extension service.
With the weather we had this year many plants are showing problems that are not usually seen. Most of these will not be problems with normal weather.

o

• Posted by hortster 6A southcentral KS (My Page) on
    Mon, Oct 17, 11 at 10:21

What IpmMan said. If it is an actual pathogen causing the damage it might be halo blight, Pseudomonas syringae. It can express itself in different ways (leaf blight, bud blast, cankers, etc.). Can also affect plums, cherries and pears.
hortster

Here is a link that might be useful: Halo blight

o

It's tough to diagnose a problem when only one leaf is in the image.

That said, to me it looks like acute drought damage because the tissues between the veins are brown. That's the last place the water gets to when a shortage is sudden, as during a heat wave or similar circumstances.

A little history about the lilac would help, too. For instance, was it planted recently? If so, the roots aren't yet extensive enough to support the growth.

Please post an overall view & fill in a few details about the lilac's history.

o

Rather then a disease your Lilac may have Lilac Borers.

Here is a link that might be useful: About Lilac Borer

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Clinic Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here