Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jjmiceli02

White stuff on cherry tree

jjmiceli
9 years ago

I have a cherry tree, where a couple months ago, I noticed white growth on lower branches and the trunk. It is now growing to higher branches and I'm afraid it is slowly killing the tree.
At first, I thought it was aphids, and used a pesticide (twice), which did nothing. I tried neem oil, but would need a gallon of it to get all the branches. I have looked online for similar pictures, but haven't seen anything that looks like this.
Can anyone please help me identify what this is, so I can treat it? A closeup photo is attached.

Thank you so much.

Comments (23)

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    9 years ago

LOL! That's too close! Can you post another photo....from a bit more of distance, showing this substance as it appears on the trunk or branches? And what's the consistency like? Sticky? Does it rub off easily?

• jjmiceli
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Here is another photo. It does flake off easily. I have used a hose on the "jet" setting, and have also used the blade of my shears to wipe it off. But - it continues to come back. Also, it does not seem sticky.

• jean001a
    9 years ago

Could we try for another picture. Somewhere between the very close close-up and the overall shot.

Where do you live?

And are you certain that's a cherry?

• Kimmsr
    9 years ago

More than likely that is Lichens and it is not doing any harm to the tree. There is no reason to spray it off and no reason to spray a poison on it.

Here is a link that might be useful: About Lichens

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    9 years ago

Looks like adult male white peach scale, to me.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    9 years ago

i have a head cold.. am a bit more throttled than usual.. lol...

but are you saying.. that the entire white trunk is the stuff you are trying to get off???

are we sure its not normal bark maturation ... though of course.. i have never seen a birch-like cherry ...

are we sure on the ID of cherry??? ... see birch leaves at link

i will go take my cold meds now ...

ken

Here is a link that might be useful: link

• jjmiceli
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hi all, I am certain it is a cherry tree. Those pictures were taken in July. And, all that white stuff covers a large part of the trunk. It is definitely not normal and just appeared this year. I live in Southern NJ (zone 6). I Certainly hope it's harmless, however there is a branch or two or three that is full of the stuff and it has lost all its leaves. So I'm concerned it's getting to be a real problem. I can try to take another picture.

9 years ago

Did you Google the pest that I suggested? That's what it looks like, that's how it can cover a tree.

• RioSeven
    9 years ago

Is it true that lichens only grow on south side of a tree? I heard that on the radio today, they were saying that is one way to know it is lichens.

9 years ago

Rio, that lichens only grow on the southern side of a tree is false. Not even "usually".

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    9 years ago

I think rhizo is correct in her ID (she's not often wrong!). This is not a insect pest common to my area but online photos look dead-on. Had no idea a scale pest would spread that thoroughly on bark and branches. Nasty!

• RioSeven
    9 years ago

Rhizo, that means the "plant expert" on the radio is a total crack pot! Not surprised of course. It is a call-in show, I think I will call next Monday and tell him he is full of you know what!

9 years ago

Aw, don't give that guy any trouble. Maybe that one comment was taken out of context or something. Maybe he was referring to trees deep in the woods.

I used to participate on a call in radio show....and a television broadcast, too. It can be unnerving if you're caught off guard. But if he was asked a general question about how to ID lichen.....his answer was not correct.

• RioSeven
    9 years ago

Rhizo - Ha! I wouldn't call in...that is just my sick sense of humour :-)

• aurorawa
    9 years ago

Ken, there is such a cherry that is birch-like. It is aptly called the birch bark cherry! I have one myself! A beautiful tree.
    Jimiceli, when I first saw the pests, I immediately went "eeew, mealies"-but I know they aren't (I grow, like, 80 species of hoya, so mealies are an issue for me). Those look like a scale pest of some sort, as rhizo has already said.

• Kimmsr
    9 years ago

The statement that "lichens only grow on the southern side of a tree" is as true as the one that moss only grows on the north side of the tree. I have trees with both growing all around the tree, some in groups of many trees and others specimen trees all by themselves.
    If this is White Peach Scale, contact your state universities Cooperative Extension Service to be sure, control is through dormant horticultural oils in early spring.

Here is a link that might be useful: About White White Peach Scale

9 years ago

personally ... and presuming its not a food plant... i would go full bore nuclear war ... a systemic solution ...

and look to a product like bayer tree and shrub .. and use it according to the label ...

most cures involve hitting the near invisible crawlers.. when they crawl out from under the scaly dead momma in spring ... and i have NEVER had the attentions span to do that.. at the right moment in time ...

keep in mind.. being a peach problem.. many of the discussions about cures.. involves an orchard tree... where systemics are not a viable solution ...

the other alternative is getting rid of the tree ... i call it.. putting it out of my misery ....

ken

9 years ago

Ken, you need to stop offering advice regarding pest control. Systemics, including your Bayer products, are not recommended for the control of this scale.

Not only is it not recommended, but Imidacloprid is well known to cause a population explosion of spider mites.

• jjmiceli
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Rhizo - you are right! I looked up pictures and read about it. It is adult male white peach scale. And it is all over my poor cherry tree. Thank you so much.
    Now I just need to figure out how to get rid of it!

• jjmiceli
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Rhizo - you are right! I looked up pictures and read about it. It is adult male white peach scale. And it is all over my poor cherry tree. Thank you so much.
    Now I just need to figure out how to get rid of it!

9 years ago

Just for information purposes...though it's called peach scale, it is NOT a pest exclusive to peaches, not by a long shot. This insect will be found on a long list of woody trees and shrubs.

9 years ago

Just for information purposes...though it's called peach scale, it is NOT a pest exclusive to peaches, not by a long shot. This insect will be found on a long list of woody trees and shrubs.

Jjmceli, I hope that you read several .edu websites about the control of this pest. Horticultural oils are the most suggested recourse applied at the appropriate time of year. Your extension office 'might' be a good source for that information, though depending on them can be risky these days.

Spraying or drenching the soil with chemical pesticides can make this problem a whole lot worse, something you may have already observed. So put those away. Oil applications are really the only way to go.

9 years ago

see link ..

yes.. you caught me again.. bayer is not labeled for said use ... i was lazy in doing the research for the poster ... though it is not appreciated that you tell me to basically .. shut up ...

link indicates many such alternatives ...

who knew that the flowering cherry was a host plant ... go figure....

i have failed.. as stated many times.. perfecting oil sprays ... i cant be out there.. every day.. with a jewelers loop .. looking for basically invisible crawlers ... with a few day window of opportunity ....

good luck OP .. do your own research on your alternatives ... you are being given a very selected option.. when other options are available ... whatever you decide is fine with me ... as long as you have ALL the options available ... to make the decision ....

ken

Here is a link that might be useful: link