Return to the Garden Clinic Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Insect Attack on my Artichokes

Posted by thekrrib New Zealand (My Page) on
Sun, Nov 4, 12 at 0:05

Does anyone know what insect might be causing this on the stem of my artichokes? The insect is inside the stem and makes its way up the entire stem. When I opened a stem, to see if I could find the insect, I found that the insect had eaten out the stem and left channels within the stem (it looked kinda stringy), which leads me to think it is a larvae inside the stem that is making it's way to the top. I can not see any obvious point of entry for an egg or larvae but one stem did have a hole, about half the size of the 'bubble' protrusions (which are about thumb nail size) half way up the stem, which I'm guessing would be the exit hole. The insect is causing discolouration and death of the stems. Appreciate any help as I can find nothing on the internet or in the books, which makes me think that maybe this insect does not only target Artichoke.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Insect Attack on my Artichokes

cut off the leaf.. slice it open.. and find out what is inside ... is there even a tunnel????

ken

o
RE: Insect Attack on my Artichokes

Hi Ken, yeah, I did that and it was all stringy inside, due to little (numerous) tunnels being eaten out the whole way up the stem to the leaf base. Unfortunately, no insect could be seen and no exit hole. One of the leaves had a hole (as big as the lumps) about half way up.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Clinic Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here