Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kristie_northern_bc

What is this Disease my Tree has?

I have what I believe is an Ornamental Fig Tree.

Within the past 2 weeks I've noticed that it had a few white dusty spots on the leaves that look like little white moths. I also noticed it had clear water looking spots on it (like sap) but the spots are hard.

I just noticed tonight that it has alot more of these white spots on it.

What is this? Can I get rid of it? How harmful is it to me/my plant?

Thanks

Comments (21)

• jean001
    18 years ago

Perhaps whiteflies. If so, the tiny "moth" things are the adults, the "clear water looking spots" -- if *very* small -- the youngsters.

Another if so -- Direct hits of insecticdal soap.

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    18 years ago

If whiteflies, surely you would notice that they flit around quite actively, just like tiny white moths. Have you noticed this? Perhaps the clear water spots are honeydew excretions, just as a thought.

I think we need some more information/observation.

Please know that these pests of your ficus, whatever they may be, are not harmful to you. Without more detailed descriptions, we can't really help with the ID. Ficus are quite prone to insect infestations.

• Kristie_Northern_BC
    Original Author
    18 years ago

They are not whiteflies... they do not fly around or move (from what I can see). Just spread.
    The clear white spots are not REALLY tiny either. Similar to regular water spots on the leaves.

• jean001
    18 years ago

We need more details. Among them these:

You wrote:
    "I also noticed it had clear water looking spots on it (like sap) but the spots are hard."

You also wrote:
    "The clear white spots are not REALLY tiny either. Similar to regular water spots on the leaves."

Where, exactly, are these spots? Also, the size, shape?

When you say they "spread," do you mean that they move? Or is it that they become more numerous and, thus, cover a larger area?

And you called it an "Ornamental Fig Tree." Do you mean an indoor plant? As in Ficus benjamina or something similar?

Further, you wrote:
    "few white dusty spots on the leaves that look like little white moths"

Where are the spots? Top of the leaves? On the underside? Also, what size?

Finally, can you post a photo?

• Kristie_Northern_BC
    Original Author
    18 years ago

To answer your questions.
    Yes, It's like a Ficus Benjamina (indoors).

The spots (both the sappy and white fluff spots) are on the leaves. Under side and Top side.

The white spots are about the size of a ladybug

the water spots aren't one side...they are just like scattered spots ranging in size in one area... but they are on a few different leaves. (Like 20)

No they do not actually move.. everyday it seems to spread more. Like when I first noticed it about 5-7 days ago there were about 4 white spots. Now there are about 25 spots.
    So it's spreading quite rapidly.
    It seems that there are only one white spot per leaf (only a couple have 2 spots on one leaf)

I cannot take a picture...sorry.. I dont have a camera at the moment.

I hope I answered your questions better.

• fonzie47
    18 years ago

For all intense and purposes, it sounds like a fugal infection.
    As for the 'water spots' could they be a reaction by the plant to the invasion? Or a secondary invasion by some other unknown bug or disease?

18 years ago

Oh, for a crystal ball!

Can you remove these 'spots' by hand (or swab), or do they seem very firmly attached to the leaf?

Are the spots 3 dimensional or flat?

What about those 'water spots', same questions.

It doesn't really sound like any disease that I'm familiar with, though we are purely taking wild guesses. How about doing some Googling on mealybugs, and let us know if they might be your problem?

• Kristie_Northern_BC
    Original Author
    18 years ago

no.. it doesn't seem to be a mealybug.

The white spots are 3 dimensional and can be removed with a swab.

The Clear spots are hard (exactly like hard sap!) and cannot be removed.

Thanks everyone for your help so far... it's very appreciated.

• jean001
    18 years ago

Okay, let's try another long distance guess. How about scale?

That could account for what look like water spots -- that is, honeydew spewed by the scale insects. If so, the spots may be tacky/sticky to the touch.

The clear *hard* spots -- does each leaf have one at the base of the leaf blade when the leaf stem is connected? If so, that's normal benji anatomy.

• Kristie_Northern_BC
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Hmm.. it could be scale. BUT when I do image searches it's hard to say. There are only one white spot per leaf, and some photo's show 20-40 spots per leaf.
    Also, I cannot see any insects. Just the spots.

Also.. It seems that the spots could be honeydew. But it's also hard to say. Is honeydew a disease from bugs?

Does anyone have any better pictures then what I've seen on google images?

• jean001
    18 years ago

You wrote: "only one white spot per leaf."

Please tell us exactly where that spot is. Also the size.

If it's scale, you will be able to easily lift them from the leaf with your fingernail.

When it comes to how many you'll find on a leaf, the number varies from none to too many to count. Photos posted online tend to show worst case.

Honeydew, as said previously, is spewed -- that is, excreted -- by scale. Other insects which also produce honeydew are aphids, mealybugs, and whiteflies. However, scale is the most common insect pesst of indoor Ficus trees.

18 years ago

Hmmmmmm. We need to know where the clear deposits are, too. Underside or the top of the leaf? If they are located only on the underside of the leaves, where the stem of the leaf (called the petiole) is attached to the leaf blade, then we'll have that problem solved.

Also, take a good look at the woody stems and tell us if you see small brown bumps on the stems.

Do you know anyone with a digital camera who could take a picture for you? I'm not sure we're getting anywhere here.

• nandina
    18 years ago

A thought for rhizo...Looking at the location of the questioner it might be wise to research all the host plants for Phtyphthora ramorum after establishing the type of plant under attack. I just have a hunch from the description given of the problem. The British sites give far more information and quality pictures on the subject than Am. sites. I am not certain that Fig (if that is what the plant is)is a host plant and just do not have time to do the research right now.

• jean001
    18 years ago

I think suggesting ramorum is a tad far out. Doesn't match the symptoms for that disease what so ever.

• jean001
    18 years ago

Any one who cares to look at the host list for ramorum, for whatever reason, can do on the official SOD website here in the US.

The list is at
    http://nature.berkeley.edu/comtf/html/about_p__ramorum.html#Hosts

No Ficus are listed, either fruiting or ornamental.

Then, too, the site offers lots of other details, along with numerous photos. Just go to the listing (above) then click on Home at the upper left.

Here is a link that might be useful: Oak Mortality Task Force -- host list

18 years ago

Hi, 'Nandina'! I more or less gave up on this one! Getting some good clues was toooooooo hard. It's almost funny! However, I will take ONE more stab in the total dark. Attached is a white, fluffy, lady-bug sized 'spot' that spreads, but doesn't fly. It does move around, but I somehow doubt that this would be observed, lol. It's also capable of making honey dew (spewing, as Jean001 says).

Here is a link that might be useful:

• toad08
    17 years ago

The leaves on this oak tree have brown spots, photo attached. Anyone know anything about what causes the brown spots on my oak tree?
    http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j306/richbound/Oak_leaf_damage_6_20_06.jpg

• fguzzo
    17 years ago

I have an oak tree that appears to be healty excep tfor the fact that it has numerous 1-2 inch bulbous type growths around many of its branches.

I uploaded pictures to yahoo photo if you can't view Iwill email them to you

Here is a link that might be useful: Oak tree disease

17 years ago

fguzzo, you've 'hijacked' another person's posting (from last year!!!) on which to ask your question. You'll get a lot more responses if you post your own query...plus you can have the answers sent straight to your email.

Your oak has galls, either oak apple gall or gouty gall, don't really know which. Galls aren't usually considered a problem but their development along branches can cause some die back. Not something to worry about, in most cases, and there is nothing you can do about it, anyway. These galls, by the way, are not a disease. They are a growth of tree cells caused by small insects....in this case a gall making wasp. The larvae are inside that gall, until they chew their way out as adults.

• novatoboy
    16 years ago

TO; Jeanneoo1. Some time back you responded to a question about white spots on a Ficus Benjamina. You mentioned something called "benji anatomy." Could you tell me what that is.....I have that on my ficus. Thank you.

• jean001
    16 years ago

novatoboy,

"benji anatomy" would refer to a normal structure for a Ficus benjamina

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars27 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus