Return to the Garden Clinic Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Orange cutie floating in my pond today: Potato Bug

Posted by Oscarmatic CA z10/23 (My Page) on
Thu, Nov 14, 13 at 1:50

This orange six-legged cutie was floating in the pond today, playing dead. When I poked him with a leaf, he tried to grasp it, so I manoeuvred him over to the shallow edge. He crawled out a bit and sunned a while. Later in the day, he was again doing the dead-man float in the pond; when the floating flower island came near, he climbed on and sunned himself a while there.

In the photo below, you can see the honeybee who has come to have a drink at the pond and provide a scale. I first thought this orange guy was a nearly mature dragonfly nymph, but a subsequent look at online photos shows my mystery bug has legs too long and abdomen too short.

My online search tells me it is a Jerusalem cricket (or "potato bug"). Some people love them; some people loathe them. So, friend? foe? Where do you fall?

Here is a link that might be useful: Some people REALLY don't like potato bugs.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Orange cutie floating in my pond today: Potato Bug

Couldn't open your link, but I can tell you that we rarely see pictures of this insect here in the GardenWeb. It's a beauty.

o

Couldn't open your link, but I can tell you that we rarely see pictures of this insect here in the GardenWeb. It's a beauty.

o

the link is hilarious ...

ken

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Clinic Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here