Return to the Garden Clinic Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
tiny white specks on leaves/limbs/truck

Posted by brass_tacks 8b/GA (My Page) on
Wed, Nov 29, 06 at 8:34

Hope someone will be able to tell what this insect is, so I can get rid of them. They are so tiny that looking through a regular magnifying glass doesn't show any features other than what I can see with my naked eye. It's a very tiny white speck that is elongated rather than round.

This past August the hybiscus had was just about all covered with these specks. At first (from a distance) I figured that the plant was stressed because of the heat. When I decided to look closer, I recognized that these white specks didn't belong. I gave the whole plant a harsh washing with the hose and the specks gave no resistance--covering the entire area below. The plant started to recover--growing new leaves. Now the specks are back--and since I am moving it into the garage at night (for fear of frosts), and that is where the geraniums go at night, I see these white specks on my geranium leaves too. During the summer, the geraniums and hybiscus were no where near each other. I gave the hybiscus a strong hosing yesterday and notice this morning that there are some of these specks back on the leaves and can recognize that the trunk nearest the ground has the highest consentration.

Please help.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: tiny white specks on leaves/limbs/truck

Sounds like it could be one of the scale insects, since you make no mention of any observable movement in these 'specks'. Take a look (google) at snow scale, for example, a common pest of hybiscus and other plants.

o
RE: tiny white specks on leaves/limbs/truck

rhizo,
After reading about the snow scale (cycad aulacaspis scale), you just might be right. Tomarrow I'm going to have to take a look at the Sago (Cycad) and see what the underside of the lower fronds look like. I was wondering why the lower fronds were all brown--got good care and all. That hybiscus is going to have to go--it's a host--and by the time I get things under control, who knows how many of these specks are going to be picked up by the wind and scattered and land on a new host.

Here these hard white bumps all over the limbs and trunk are not part of the plant--like I figured.

I don't know what's involved, but I'm going to try and get to know the entomologist at the Univ. of FL. (if there is one). I read that it takes an entomologist that specializes in scales to determine what kind one is--after dying and putting on a slide for the magnification. My biggest concern are my citrus trees.

Oh give me a home where the buffalo roam, where the deer and the antelope play. Where never is heard a discouraging word and the skys are not cloudy all day.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Clinic Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here