Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
writersblock_gw

recovery after damping off?

When I planted seeds last month, a ping tung eggplant came up looking all thready, with deformed cotyledons and was very, very slow, even for an eggplant, so I stuck it off in the isolation area and expected it to die, since it obviously had some kind of damping off.

Things got busy and I kind of forgot about till the other day. It's actually doing pretty well now. Even the skinny area at the base of the stem has filled out to the same width as the rest of the stem, although it still has a scar and the lower part is a different color. But it's putting out leaves like crazy and seems pretty happy otherwise.

I'm tempted to plant it out, but I don't know if it would still be harboring the pathogens. Do plants really recover from that or would I risk infecting other solanaceae nearby?

Comments (6)

• ronalawn82
    9 years ago

writersblock, as far as I know, there is a number of organisms which cause 'damping off'.
    I imagine that the problem would be to ID the organism and treat the infected seedling accordingly in isolation!
    A valuable seedling or a great learning opportunity would justify the effort.

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks. Yeah, that's pretty much what I thought. My money is on it being probably fusarium since it was so hot at the time, but there's no easy way to know for sure. Guess it's curtains for the poor thing.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    9 years ago

i starting avoiding most of this type stuff.. when i started sterilizing my media first... see link ...

when you ask for my experience of how things recover???? .. i dont know.. i never got anything to recover.. lol ...

not much was worth the cost of treatment .... and as i usually had duplicates .. losing one was not an issue ...

and when it did happen ... i usually didnt notice until they were completely collapsed ...

its a real catch 22 when your roots start rotting off ... you want to water.. because its looking limp.. but the more you water... the worse it gets... etc ..

anyway ... avoid the issue if you can ...

ken

Here is a link that might be useful: link

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks, ken. Actually these seedlings were started in rockwool and vermiculite from a fresh bag, so whatever it was, I doubt it came from the medium. And it just happened to be a brand new tray, too.

But I agree completely--it's better to avoid it from the beginning.

• ronalawn82
    9 years ago

writersblock, "Guess it's curtains for the poor thing."
    Maybe not. Grow the poor thing in isolation and see what it does.
    Who knows? You may have developed a new variety!
    And you get the privilege on naming it.
    Read the article I linked for ChipSomers - Jasmine minima.
    Maybe 15 posts ago.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    9 years ago

rockwool and vermiculite from a fresh bag

==>> i dont care what it is.. nor what the bag claims ...

i sterilize it ...

crikey.. wet it.. put it in a gallon baggie... and nuke it until it steams ... a minute or two ...

what.. its not worth that few minutes to make sure ...???

its all about.. the ability to rule out as may variables as you can.. when the problem arises ... but when you start by saying.. well.. i 'presume' the stuff in the bag is sterile ... you can NOT rule it out ...

and to be clear.. i sterilize the pots.. the water can.. all tools .. and the rubber gloves i use when dealing with it all ... cuz God knows whats under my nails.. lol ...

all that said ... the stuff.. straight from an unopened, brand new bag is PROBABLY sterile ... but how do you know...???

anyway.. have fun ...

ken

ps: i do presume.. that a new plastic baggie.. inside is sterile ... due to the manufacturing process ... molten is molten ... but i do wash them in 10% bleach.. if i care to reuse them .....