Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
immobilus

Oak, termites.

immobilus
9 years ago

Hello:

At my mother's house in Tyler, TX, we have had an oak, not sure the variety but I believe white oak, in the ground for about 10 years. It has never done anything, no growth whatsoever, until this year. It has probably added about three feet in height and at the drippily is now about 5 feet in diameter.

However, I noticed on one side of the trunk is now evidence of termite infestation. I know oaks tend to like adversity. We have one in the backyard that has probably been there for 100 years, it's about 60 feet tall, and when we moved in a decade ago it was nearly dead. It has sense recovered by is completely infested with termites to the point the power company asked us to remove it.

I've looked online and found termite "traps," but also read reviews that they do nothing to decrease the infestation. I thought there was such a thing as termite spikes to go in the ground with trace amounts of pesticides.

I've found nothing of the sort online, though I have found some 'holistic methods' of reducing infestation.

Does anyone know of any termite-cidal spikes for the ground that will not harm the trees?

Thanks!

Comments (2)