Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
richdelmo

Indoor insect problem

richdelmo
10 years ago

I have two pepper plants that I cut back and brought in for the winter. Yesterday I saw tons of little white insects on just about every leaf, pretty sure they are aphids. I took the plants outside and spayed all over the plant then hand picked what was remaining. Then I sprayed the plants with water mixed with a few drops of dishwater soap, checked every leaf top and underside and it appeared they were all gone. This morning some are back probably found about 20-30. Where are they coming from, the soil, eggs hatching?? What else should I do. Thanks.

Comments (11)

• agardenstateof_mind
    10 years ago

unless in the flying stage, most aphids are pale green, and they are live bearers. Are they crawling, do they fly? Would it be possible for you to post a photo? That would help a great deal.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    10 years ago

you took the plant outside and treated it..

but what did you do for those left in the house???

i question your ID .. and wonder if they may not be whitefly ... or fungus gnats ...

did you bring in dirt from outside??? .. or use a fresh media ...

there is a reason most of us do NOT bring old.. aged.. annuals.. into the house... because long ago.. we learned.. its a PIA .... lol ...

like the rest of us.. you will probably decide it isnt worth the effort .... and throw it out into a snowbank.. sooner or later ... i know not everyone has snow for such.. but there is some supreme retribution in killing them all in one fell swoop .... and the heck with the plant.. because the bugs will drive you crazy ... i had a light stand with plants in my family room.. when i could not see the hockey puck.. thru all the gnats.. it was time to get rid of the plants.. and start over ....been there.. done that ... pshaw ...

ken

• richdelmo
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I haven't seen any flying but they are crawling around. I don't have any pictures but they very small so I'm not sure it's possible but I will try the next time I find some. They are not green definitely white. Could they be spider mites?

• richdelmo
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Ken I have a christmas cactus and a hibiscus that I have overwintered in my living for 10 and 5 years respectively and have never had a problem. This year I also brought in a fuchsia which sits next to the pepper plants with no issues. This is the first year in many that I have had good luck with pepper, usually I have poor luck so I wanted to save a couple. Do you think I should get some potting soil and replant them in new pots and media.

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    10 years ago

Aphids come in all colors....green, yellow, gray, pink, red, white, etc.

Rich....it is very simple to look up (google) and see what aphids look like. There's nothing else that looks like aphids but other aphids. Compare the images to what you have.

Whiteflies and fungus gnats would flit around....they fly! Spider mites are all but invisible to the naked eye. I doubt very much that those are what you are seeing.

Back to aphids. They do move but very little and very slowly. They tend to congregate in groups and like the newest growth the best. As they get larger, the aphids shed their skins, which look like white flecks.

I'd like to see some good images of the insects OR an improved, detailed description.....especially after you look up aphids to see what they look like.

• richdelmo
    Original Author
    10 years ago

• richdelmo
    Original Author
    10 years ago

bump, can anyone confirm they are aphids. There are far fewer each day but more curious than anything now.

10 years ago

Rich....YOU have to be the detective....your image just isn't clear enough for us to be totally certain. Look at the images you see of aphids on line and compare with those critters on your plant. Like I said....there's really nothing else that looks like nor behaves like aphids.

10 years ago

Rich....YOU have to be the detective....your image just isn't clear enough for us to be totally certain. Look at the images you see of aphids on line and compare with those critters on your plant. Like I said....there's really nothing else that looks like nor behaves like aphids.

• Kimmsr
    10 years ago

If what you have are Aphids they can be easily controlled with sharp sprays of water that knocks the wee buggers off the plant. However Aphids reproduce quite prolifically so you may well see new generations fairly quickly after "eliminating" those you can see.

Here is a link that might be useful: About Aphids

• richdelmo
    Original Author
    10 years ago

sry about the picture quality that was the best I could do. Thanks for you feedback everyone.

Sponsored
Miller Woodworks
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars21 Reviews
Franklin County's Trusted Custom Cabinetry Solutions