Return to the Garden Clinic Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Bald Cypress leaves or needles

Posted by Wildflowergma none (My Page) on
Mon, Nov 18, 13 at 10:33

Has anyone used Bald Cypress leaves or needles for mulch? If so, do you know if it stains house foundations, etc?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Bald Cypress leaves or needles

I don't see why Bald Cypress needles wouldn't be ideal mulch, s the bad karma of killing a tree for bark and wood mulch. Bald Cypress acidifies and provides humus to the soil.
For best results, trees and gardens should be planted away from eaves and foundations.

o

i am surprised you dint think to ask this question.. in the conifer forum ...

you could never put enough needles on to change pH in your lifetime ...

they will be gone before the next summer... not much of a mulch in my estimate ..

ken

o

Bald Cypress, "Taxodium distichum" leaves would be a good additions to soil, as would any most other form of vegetative waste. There are very persistent myths about that adding tree leaves to soil will cause that soil to become acidic while good research say that is not true. Studies done at the UCONN Agricultural Research Station in New Haven, Conn showed there was no significant change in soil pH after several years of adding Oak leaves and Pine needles to the soil.
Since Oak, Maple, Beech, Chestnut, and many other leaves will leave stains on concrete I would suspect that Bald Cypress would as well.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Clinic Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here