Return to the Garden Clinic Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Something is Killing My Elephant Ears

Posted by scubakathy84 9 (My Page) on
Sat, Nov 10, 12 at 11:55

I recently discovered my elephant ears are covered in something, possibly bugs, that seem to be harming it. I'm new to gardening and not sure what these are.

Can someone help me identify what's on my elephant ears and recommend how to get rid of it. Photo provided in link below.

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/PJUwHwpYKOvGFTj2ygBV-NMTjNZETYmyPJy0liipFm0?feat=directlink

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Something is Killing My Elephant Ears

with that pic.. the best i can do is suggest aphids ..

and the population of such can be controlled.. simply by spraying them off with water ...

ken

o

I will try to post a better picture taken in the daylight on Sunday. Was in a rush to take this picture before I left for the weekend, only had the porch light to work with.

o

As soon as you have a frost, the leaves will be gone until spring. Next year look more often. If you see bugs, wipe or knock them off as Ken suggested.

o

It seems they have wings.

o

one other thought...

this plant will have MANY leaves.. sprouting from the bottom ...

if this is the first leaf ...

get rid of it.. clean up the rest.. and hope the second leaf will not get attacked ...

BTW.. why is it starting growth this time of year???? .. in the US ... seems wildly out of phase ... or in the alternative.. why am i presuming it is just coming out of dormancy ...

ken

o

That's a good question, Ken. I had assumed this plant was outside, but maybe not.

I would be careful about removing the leaf though, at least the petiole (if that's still the correct term on this plant.) The new leaf forms inside the previous leaf's petiole.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Clinic Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here