Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jjoey388

Unidentified Pest! Need Help Identifying so I can Stop it!

jjoey388
10 years ago

Hi Everyone,

I've read posts on the forum for a while but recently joined because I need help. I live in San Diego, so I have a great climate to grow lettuce year around in my backyard (never gets below 40 and I have enough sunlight for lettuce all the time). I just started this year and had great success with lettuce from Jan-May until I moved onto summer crops.

I went back to lettuce a month and a half ago and my seedlings started to sprout and then disappeared quickly. I figured out quickly it was a pest eating them. I figured it was birds, have heard they like seedlings and we live by several large trees and have a large bird population and I have caught them eating my tomatoes before so I figured that was the culprit.

As a response to that suspicion I covered my raised bed with a double layer of bird netting and re-seeded. At first all seemed well, my seedlings werent disappearing, but it has started again! To describe my setup I have a raised bed which is enclosed by redwood 2x10's. The 2x10's have fencing attached to them to keep my dog out. And at the end of the bird netting I put a row of rocks on top of the netting so it was flush with the ground that I had hoped would keep mice out if they were the culprit.

The little leaves of the seedlings are being eaten and the small stem remains. I didnt find any traces of disturbance in the netting or disturbance in the dirt (though I doubt mice are heavy enough to leave footprints in most dirt). I cant imagine something making it through my netting setup without leaving some sort of trace and I have a dog which should be deterring pests like mice!

At this point the only thing I could think of would be mice/rats or slugs???

Any chance sombody else has experienced a similar problem and found out what is causing it? Or have an idea of what it might be based on the eating pattern?

Thanks for any help I can get!

Comments (6)