Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sunshine_mom

brownish at the base of plant

sunshine_mom
10 years ago

Hi all! I got this plant a few months ago and it was repotted for me by the store owner. It had a flower but today I cut it down because the color was dull and almost brownish red. Overall, does this anthurium plant look healthy or is the brownish part on the bottom a problem? Also today I found a couple of flying insects frying around this plant that I need to get rid of asap. I want this plant to produce new flowers since right now it only has a few leaves. What is the branch in the middle: new leaf or will be a flower? I'm very new to all this and haven't seen many anthuriums in various stages of development. Thanks.

This post was edited by sunshine_mom on Thu, Nov 14, 13 at 13:26

Comments (14)

• sunshine_mom
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Just another picture for more clarity.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    10 years ago

i cant focus on the brown part ...

is it the remnants of old leaves cut off ???

or the stinkee rot of death ...

it would have been nice to see the color of the flower ...

those leaves left look extremely happy ... why arent you .. lol ...

dont know where you are ... you could change that NONE next to your name to big city name ... on your member's page ...

in my forced air heated MI winter home.. tropical plants would not be happy in front of the cold air return ... if thats its permanent site ....

ken

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    10 years ago

The brown bits at the bottom are normal. The thing-that's-not-a-leaf in the middle is a cataphyll, a leaf sheath. It will eventually turn brown and be a new 'brown bit' at the bottom. You can pluck them off with a tweezer (or fingernails if you've got them, and the dexterity/steadiness to not gouge the base of the plant.)

Agree, it looks happy, and that knowing where you are would help with giving the best advice. What kind of light do you have for it?

The flying things are probably fungus gnats. Letting the soil dry out could make them go away, maybe, but do you have other plants?

• sunshine_mom
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks purpleinopp. The window is facing west. The plant is located on SW side of the wall, which means it probably isn't getting much light from NW part of the window. This is all new to me and I'm not sure if I'm understanding this correctly. My peace lily and singonium are on the opposite side of the window, by the NW side of the wall and probably get more light from SW, I guess that's why they are growing larger and get more full foliage. This starts to make sense if I'm correct. Should I change the location of these plants that get light from NW? Thank you. I'll add more pictures to illustrate.

• sunshine_mom
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you ken_adrian. Here's the flower that I cut off the anthurium. You can see the color is all faded.

10 years ago

I just want to play with the toys, LOL! Nice looking collection. But yeah, the angle of the sun would put more light in the north part of the room, and can never bend around to shine in the southern half (unless we get into mirrors.)

I'd put jade in most sun, hopefully where the sun shines right on them for as long as possible. Anthurium on the more-sun side, Fittonia & Syngonium should be OK on the less-light side, but it may not be enough for PL to bloom.

Don't know what all of them in the pic are, 3 mysteries to me from that pic.

If you to 'come on over' to the house plant forum if you have more questions, others would have more suggestions and encouragement for you as well.

When you feel like a little reading material, this is great info to learn.

Hanging baskets showing light hitting to the north of a west-facing window. Hanging baskets are a good way to get plants close to a window without using floor space for them, if that's an option for you, something you like looking at.

• sunshine_mom
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you for your reply. LOL The toys are all over this tiny Brooklyn apartment. I definitely need more space for my plants or hanging baskets would be fantastic. I'm just concerned that our building may not allow to drill holes in the ceiling or is there another way. I will post on houseplants forum. Thanks. Here I just wanted to show you my plants up close.

• sunshine_mom
    Original Author
    10 years ago

The last one is callisia frangrans :) My mother gave it to me about six years ago, which she had for a few years too. So it's an old and a forgiving plant. Next to fittonia there's a small cutting that I rooted and now trying to grow. The one next to it is Gardenia. Thank you for your suggestions about the light. I will try to do something about it.

This post was edited by sunshine_mom on Sun, Nov 17, 13 at 12:07

10 years ago

I would put the Gardenia with the jade, sunniest spot.

Callisia fragrans is one of my favs! Has yours made any flowers? Looks like it could use a bit more light, but not very picky. The flowers start forming in December, the past few winters since I've had these plants. This pic is from 1/11/13.

• sunshine_mom
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Wow! Yours looks amazing... very long. No, mine never produced flowers. I guess due to lack of light. I might consider using some artificial lighting. I need to research that topic more. What else do you have in your collection? Are your plants getting South lighting?

10 years ago

TYVM! That window faces south, but there's a porch roof that blocks the direct light until late afternoon. East and west windows are great also, but I do put plants right up next to them. I agree, with more light your Callisia should make some flowers. It's certainly 'old enough!' Sending good vibes that it does. The flowers smell SO GOOD.

There are plants crammed all over my house until it warms back up. During the spring/summer/fall, they are outside, on 2 porches, hanging from tree limbs, decorating our dog's house. Here's some of the front porch plants, all inside now.

A great east window:

There are other plants that go on the windowsill when I open the curtain.

I have over 200 different kinds of plants that come in the house to escape winter cold. Sounds like you're trying to enable yourself by asking these questions... I'm good with that... 'tis the season for pretty Thanksgiving cacti!

• sunshine_mom
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I'm very impressed with your collection. You are taking great care of them :) You definitely have space for a 201st plant. Is Thanksgiving cacti a Christmas cactus or what they call a December plant. It's a such a pretty plant on it's own but the flowers are adorable. How did you begin with your collection?

10 years ago

TY ;) Thanksgiving cactus (TC) and Christmas cactus (CC) are different plants, but TC often gets called both since it's more common.

I agree, TC flowers are great:
    {{gwi:112008}}

The leaves have what looks like sharp points, but they are actually soft. The flowers are very similar.

"You definitely have space for a 201st plant." I agree! I got it, and a few others today.

I don't remember not having any plants. My Mom always told me which ones were mine, and it went from there. Sprouting the bean and marigold seeds in the cups in grade school was really exciting to me. Having a ton of sunshine here in AL is a bonus! Only a few of my old plants were able to come here with me from OH a few years ago. Besides shopping, trading in the mail is a great way to get new plants. The house plant forum (and several others) has (have) a separate exchange section but I've find most of the trades just chatting about whatever plants people are talking about.

• sunshine_mom
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Congrats! Enjoy it. I'm now inspired to get it too :) I'll tell my 3 year old son that it's his, so he gets to take care of it and start from there. He already helps me to root cuttings. It's great that you can exchange plants with others, probably more rewarding. I'll check out other forums. Thanks a bunch.