Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tamtrible

My seeds keep going moldy

tamtrible
12 years ago

I'm trying to start a bunch of different seeds, in water crystals (these: http://watersorb.com/ ). But I keep getting mold on them (mostly fuzzy white mold). I've been trying to deal with it using hydrogen peroxide, with no real luck. As per another suggestion online, I used cinnamon, with limited if any success (what success I have may just be that I can't *see* the mold any more). Any other suggestions?

If it makes a difference, the seeds are all indoors, and have included some flower seeds (most of those haven't molded, except for the marigold), whatever's in the birdseed I bought (mostly grasses, it looks like), several spices (I had real hopes for the pepper, which was actual recently purchased white pepper instead of stuff my mom has had for years), coffee, rice, beans, and possibly others I'm forgetting right now. I was kind of planting anything I had 't hand.

I also have a severe mold problem on the ginger rhizome I tried to start (it isn't growing), and some to severe mold on the taro corms (one of them *is* growing, it has 2 little leaves, which makes me happy). Those are both on clay cat litter, with a little sphagnum moss inexpertly mixed in. They are intended to go in my pond as marginals, once I *have* my pond . Again, I have been treating with hydrogen peroxide and cinnamon, with limited success.

Comments (13)

• ronalawn82
    12 years ago

TamTrible, I suggest that you treat the seeds with an approved fungicide before you 'sow' them. I assume that the medium is free of pathogens so the seeds themselves are infected. Here is a site you can check out.

http://extension.agron.iastate.edu/soybean/seedfungtmt.html

• tamtrible
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Any suggestions on what to do with the moldy things I already have?... (preferably involving chemicals I also already have or can obtain cheaply)

And I suspect the mold on the spices was either environmentally obtained, or due to the vinegar I put in the water... (it grew quickly, and not starting from any of the seeds).

• Kimmsr
    12 years ago

Moulds need moisture and warmth (there are some that can appear in the cold) so seeds that do get mouldy probably are in an environment that is too moist.
    Many people have had good results controlling moulds on seeds with Chamomile tea or cinnimon as well as allowing the growing media to dry out some.

• stevelau1911
    12 years ago

Why don't you just sow them straight out in the gardening beds?

With the natural outdoor environment, I really doubt that you will ever encounter problems with mold. That's why I grow my seeds directly outside.

Here's an example showing a fairly hard to germinate plant such as the tree peony germinating with ease out in my garden beds.

Here is a link that might be useful: tree peony germination

• tamtrible
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Why don't I sew seeds outside? Because I live in Arizona, and don't always remember to water my plants.

• jean001a
    12 years ago

Then why don't you use pre-packaged seed starting mix?

Further, some of the things you are experimenting with, are unlikely to sprout because of their treatment before you received them. The spices, for instance. And if you're trying to grow *black* pepper, it's a tropical vine. How about locating a supermarket with a Bulk Foods department, then purchase only what you'll need for a reasonable amount of time.

• tamtrible
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I know black pepper is a tropical vine, I live somewhere pretty warm, and thought it might be cool to have a tropical vine. Rather likewise for the other spices. If I actually get any usable spices out of them, it's a bonus, but I mostly just wanted to try growing them.

If and when I try that again, I will likely use some kind of seed starting mix, but I had the water crystals 't hand...

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    12 years ago

So, where did you get the coffee beans, rice, beans, and pepper corns?

Clay cat litter turns to mush not too long after it's been moistened.

Mold spores are in the air. All it takes for mold and fungi to grow is the kind of conditions they like...excess moisture, lack of air circulation, etc.

• tamtrible
    Original Author
    12 years ago

The coffee beans I got for free. The rice, beans, and peppercorns probably cost me less than a dollar total.

And the clay cat litter is an attempt to get pond-viable soil cheaply.

Do you think getting a fan to blow at my seeds might help, at least for future attempts?

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    12 years ago

I'm not concerned about what they cost...just where you got them...in other words, are they grocery store finds or actual viable seeds that have been imported from elsewhere?

A fan wouldn't help unless you use an appropriate medium of some kind. Another factor that can help with seed germination is bottom heat. The warmer the soil (not the air), the faster the germination rate. You see, the longer seeds remain in a moist, cold soil....the greater the chances of rot.

Have you tried posting your questions over in the Plant Propagation or Growing from Seed forums?

• tamtrible
    Original Author
    12 years ago

They're grocery store finds, give or take, though they're at least theoretically viable (for example, the coffee is green coffee, and I've been able to get them to *start* sprouting before they go all moldy, and I managed to get at least 2 bean plants growing fairly well and stuck them outside)

I haven't tried posting this question on "growing from seed", but I've put related questions up.

• LUANNE Luongo
    3 years ago

Hi. I had the same problem then zi found drying my seed outside took care of the issue. I live in the Northeast and f find 5^7 days in rhe sun dries them so they dont get mild. I usually also put the beyween two papertowels. I hooe this helos. In the meantime if you soak the seeds you have in hydrogen peroxide for a minute before planting that will get rid of any pathogen. Hope this helps

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    3 years ago

Here, 9 years after the fact, I wonder why no one questioned the ill-advisability of attempting to germinate seeds in water absorbing polymeric crystals. Of course they will mold!! It's almost like attempting to germinate seeds in straight water!! Rotting and/or mold is pretty much a foregone conclusion.

The crystals are intended to be mixed with soil or potting mix to increase water retention. Each individual crystal has the ability to absorb up to 400 times its weight in water. They are certainly not an ideal seed starting medium by any stretch of the imagination and I doubt any antifungal remedies would have any impact at all.