Return to the Garden Clinic Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Young Avocado Tree Leaves Turning Brown

Posted by darkwolfe5 Southern CA (My Page) on
Mon, Nov 16, 09 at 18:20

so I started this avocado pit at the beginning of the year, and has been growing like crazy since I put it into a pot, and I even had to transplant it into a bigger pot in late spring. But the past month or so suddenly a bunch of the leaves developed dark brown edges and have started shriveling. Then it finally started growing new leaves again and I figured they'd be fine...but alas, it seems that even the newest leaves are developing this dry brown edges that work across the leaf....and I think my neighbor's grasshopper is coming up for a few visits cuz some of the leaves have been eaten too.

Any ideas what is going on w/ my avocado tree? I've been so proud of it doing so well from a seed.

Here's a couple of pics.

2009-11-16 1

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Young Avocado Tree Leaves Turning Brown

• Posted by jean001 z8aPortland, OR (My Page) on
    Tue, Nov 17, 09 at 13:25

I suspect a root problem.

What I see in the pictures.
- It's pale & spindly; it needs much more light.
- I see ring-around-the-pot at the edge of the potting mix. When you water, does it drain freely out the bottom?

What sort of potting mix is it growing in?
Are you fertilizing? If so, with what, also the strength & the frequency?

o
RE: Young Avocado Tree Leaves Turning Brown

Take 2 on posting my response...since the original didnt post the week or so ago....

I'd love to get the tree more light, but I live in a small apt, and only have a VERY small entry balcony that I share w/ 1 neighbor and this time of year especially only gets like 6-8 hrs of direct sunlight

When I water, the water does drain, but has a tendency to sit for a few seconds on top before it all soaks in.

The potting mix is something generic my garden designer friend used when we re-potted it in the spring. I feel that it's time to re-pot it again since I've noticed the main root trying to grow out of the hole at the bottom of the pot, but I dont have any deeper pots to put it in. I have one that's wider, but not deeper.

Fertilizing? I'm just a poor student that's developed a sudden desire for growing things...this is a hobby going crazy and I dont really have money to get fertalizers. I hope to be starting a vermicompost bin soon so I might be able to get some worm tea in the future to use.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Clinic Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here