Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
starlightbotanist

Very small white larva, Hedera helix

Starlight Botanist
10 years ago

Found these on some variegated hedera helix cuttings i have under lights.

I held a 200x loupe over the leaf and took a picture through it with my cell phone.

To the naked eye, they are larger than adult spider mites, but still very small.

For now, i removed all i could find manually with a paper towel wet with 50/50 water/isopropyl alcohol.

This post was edited by smishgibson on Wed, Nov 27, 13 at 18:43

Comments (8)

• jean001a
    10 years ago

An aphid. Squish them all.
    Then check daily in case you missed any of their kin. ('Cuz you probably did!)

• Kimmsr
    10 years ago

Aphids. These are quite simply controlled with sharp water sprays that knock the wee buggers off the plants.
    Alcohol is not a good insecticide and can do far more damage to plants then the insects the alcohol is meant to control. Alcohol can interfere with photosynthesis as well as cause a plants leaf to loose cell moisture, just as it draws moisture from your bodies cells.

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    10 years ago

Kimmsr, rubbing alcohol is very commonly recommended as a safe and efficient control for mites, aphids, mealybugs, and other small pests. I've used it for years on a wide variety of indoor plants with zero problems.

It is often applied as a diluted spray mixed at the rate of one part alcohol to three parts water. Hedera helix would certainly be one of the safe plants.

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    10 years ago

Kimmsr, rubbing alcohol is very commonly recommended as a safe and efficient control for mites, aphids, mealybugs, and other small pests. I've used it for years on a wide variety of indoor plants with zero problems.

It is often applied as a diluted spray mixed at the rate of one part alcohol to three parts water. Hedera helix would certainly be one of the safe plants.

• Starlight Botanist
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks so much for the ID guys. I feel silly not knowing something so common as an aphid. I guess I'm just lucky I haven't had to deal with them yet. Two treatments of manual removal with water/alcohol seems to have done it. I will watch this and all plants in the same room closely for a week or so before I call it done.

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    10 years ago

Rubbing alcohol is my go-to treatment for any plant with smooth (not fuzzy) leaves. You can also use it on a cotton ball or q-tip, to gently wipe leaves, whatever's appropriate for the plant/leaf shape and your patience level.

For a similar look without so much potential for pest population, consider variegated Hoya carnosa, Philodendron 'Brasil,' Ceropegia, Syngonium, Columnea, Aptenia cordifolia. These all have very pretty (IMHO) leaves, a dangling habit, without the reputation for being virtually impossible to keep pest-free (like ivy) though any plant can get some kind of pest.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    10 years ago

i am with kimmr on the water ... its basically free ..

if small enough.. start shower .... invert in one hand .. and give it a shower ... presuming i suppose.. you have a hand held shower head ...

just wash it off for a few weeks running.. interrupt the breeding cycle ... trying to avoid making the media sodden ....

all my house plants are outdoors for summer... in mid fall.. i treat with a systemic .. outdoors... to insure that what i bring in.. has sterile media [in terms of bugs] ... as well as clean plants ... prevention is so much easier than the cure ...

ken

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    10 years ago

I'd love to see a pic of one house plant of yours, Ken.

Sponsored
Michael Nash Design, Build & Homes
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars254 Reviews
Northern Virginia Design Build Firm | 18x Best of Houzz