Return to the Garden Clinic Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Pest Identification

Posted by boozer52 CA 9 (22) (My Page) on
Fri, Nov 12, 10 at 19:00

Found this on a branch of the tangerine tree this afternoon. Didn't see any damage but just wondered what it was and if it causes any harn. Is this common to the southern california area and does it cause any harm. The pictures do not do it justice, it really has a creey look.

http://home-and-garden.webshots.com/photo/2523828180032633912DOXMQO

http://home-and-garden.webshots.com/photo/2523828180032633912DOXMQO

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Pest Identification

That's the caterpillar of the beautiful Giant Swallowtail Butterfly. They are a relatively common pest of citrus country-wide. Plenty of parasites and predators help control them in all stages, but they are capable of munching away at a lot of foliage.

I grow some seedling citrus in containers just for the benefit of the butterflies, but others may not wish to sacrifice their plants that way.

Look for the small, pearl-like eggs laid singly on the leaves, usually the upper surface. Your caterpillar, by the way, is not a youngster. Inspect your plants regularly, if possible, so that you can find them when they are still tiny.

o

Thank you very much for the ID. I will keep an eye out for damage before I think about doing anything. I have seen several of those butterflies flying around, but never knew what the lavae looked like. Since I tore out my lawn last spring and replaced it with natives, I have seem a lot of things that I have never seen before. Thanks again.

o

"...I have seen a lot of things I have never seen before."

I'll BET you are, boozer. You may find that you've attracted more of the natural pest control agents, enough so that you see little damage from the caterpillars.

Look for numbers of regular wasps (like the mud daubers), which take caterpillars away to stuff into their muddy egg chambers for the developing wasp larvae. Tiny parasitic wasps are much more difficult to see, but are considered a primary control of caterpillars. There are also predatory stinkbugs (and other members of that family), beetles (even ladybugs will eat the eggs and very young caterpillars), birds, lizards, snakes, tree frogs, squirrels, and more!

Good luck!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Clinic Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here