Return to the Garden Clinic Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
what to do to improve the flowing of borganvilla

Posted by jake140 nsw (My Page) on
Sat, Nov 16, 13 at 20:42

hi i have a long standing plant out side east faceing i have trouble getting it to flower some years it will produce go amount and then none what do you think i should do to make it flower thanks michael

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: what to do to improve the flowing of borganvilla

i have seen them in full blistering tropical sun in the Caribbean ...

talk to us about how its east facing impacts full sun ...

excessive green growth... with sacrificing of flower.. is also a sign of hyper-fertilization ... again.. in the Carib.. they are grown in beach sand ... is your soil highly amended.. which is another form of over-fertilizing ... and are you fert'ing it????

you havent given us many facts to go on ...

ken

o

i have fertilizied a few times but not much it gets water most days we live in sydney ,should i cut it all back i could not tell you type of soil we have but i grow azealeas with it and they do fine michael

o

Like all plants Bougainvillea needs good soil and proper siting.
What is the soils pH where this is planted?
What are the available nutrients where this plant is growing?
Is there too much Nitrogen in the soil?
Is there not enough Nitrogen in the soil?

Have a good soil test done and go from there.

o

jake140, this plant appears to thrive on neglect!
The regular watering might a factor. Perhaps you can facilitate drainage of the root ball by gradually "trenching" around it and piling the soil in thin layers around the stem(s).
The timing of any pruning activity is very important because the colored bracts are borne on the current growth.
I would not apply any fertilizer unless the leaves show a need.
Stressing a plant can induce "flowering/fruiting".

This post was edited by ronalawn82 on Sat, Nov 23, 13 at 15:34

o

A few growers may think Bougainvilleas thrive on neglect because they grow so prolifically in the wild. However, most of the information I find says differently, as this web site indicates.

Here is a link that might be useful: Growing Bougainvilleas

o

Agree with most of what is written. Commercial fertilizer, esp. those containing a lot of nitrogen should be avoided. Unless your soil is already very alkaline, try some pure potassium fertilizer (wood ash). Do you like barbecue? Good luck.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Clinic Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here