Return to the Garden Clinic Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Large Gall on Tree

Posted by snoodgeek none (My Page) on
Mon, Nov 25, 13 at 21:18

I'm trying to identify the reason for this large gall. Its on a Sakhalin corktree (phellodendron sachalinense).
Any insight?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Large Gall on Tree

Something, most likely an insect, caused the tree to take protective action which produced that gall. I am not sure how much help your AgCanada people might be but I'd not think asking would do much harm.

Here is a link that might be useful: about galls oon trees

o

it looks like it is so old.. that its already disintegrating ...

if so.. the branch its on .. may also fail ...

if its your tree.. and it could harm anything.. the branch should probably be removed at the trunk .. thru proper pruning methods ...

if its out in the middle of nowhere.. i would spend the next decade watching it.. and prune properly after it fails...

many such things are harvested for the burl wood inside ... you dont happen to need a burl pipe.. do you ... lol .... some new wood for your dashboard ... lol ...

ken

Here is a link that might be useful: flip to the web side for a wiki doc... but check out the pix ... seems like a waste to watch it fall apart ...

o

What are the measurements?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Clinic Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here