Return to the Garden Clinic Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Damaged leaves of banana shrub and jasmine

Posted by chrlin CA (My Page) on
Sat, Nov 1, 08 at 21:47

I have a banana shrub and an Arabian jasmine potted in separate pots but next to each other. I've had them for about 1 year, and since a few months ago, both plants have been having similar problems with their leaves. About 10-20% of their leaves appear to be deformed entirely, or partially burned, or as if being chewed up along the edges. Yet I cannot find any visible bug on the plant. I observed some of the leaf buds just seem to grow out that way, like a genetic defect. In addition, some of the young buds of jasmine just don't develop and die. Please help identify the problem and share some insight how to cure it. I really appreciate your help!

Image link: Damaged leaves of banana shrub and jasmine (43 k)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Damaged leaves of banana shrub and jasmine

Plant leaves like that often indicate some nutrient deficiency, when that cannot be traced to an insect pest.

o

I have seen leaves like that on my plants when they have been attacked by aphids in the very early bud stage. The buds become deformed and then open up to a deformed leaf. There are typically no aphids visible by the time I see the damage. You can remove the leaves if they are unsightly, and aphids can be managed with a strong spray of water. They certainly won't kill the plant. Just make the leaves look deformed.

o

The problem especially if on younger or new leaves is likely to be Boron deficiency. Try one gram of borax(Hindi Suhaga) per pot dissolved in a cup of water. Effect can be expected to show on newest leaves about 3weeks after treatment.
Do not give any more borax for two months, and do not give in excess.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Clinic Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here