Return to the Garden Clinic Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
After the removal of one tiny worm

Posted by April104 none (My Page) on
Mon, Nov 4, 13 at 22:08

Hi,

A tiny black worm was found on the plant. The worm was removed. But the condition of the plant is not good. Would anyone help me out?

Thank you.
Regards,
Alice

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: After the removal of one tiny worm

One more pic for reference...
Please help

o

It looks severely root bound, to me. When was the last time that the plant was repotted? I presume that the container has drainage holes?

o

if it were me ...

i would get the full latin name in the NAME THAT PLANT FORUM ... if no one here can provide such ...

then i would google the latin name and add propagation ..

and then i would root some of those growth points ... and when i was sure they rooted...

i would throw away the old parts ...

it looks like there is no media in there to hold water.. so you appear to be over watering it.. causing the trunk to look like it is rotting ...

with plants.. you can turn grandpa.. back into a babe .. and that gives you another 10 years with the SAME PLANT ...

otherwise.. grandpa is going to die.. sooner or later ...

ken

o

It's a Ti plant, ken.

o

The little worm you found was likely a fungus gnat larva. Do you have a lot of tiny flies buzzing around the plant?

Those do harm to the roots, but I believe that too small a pot, too wet, poor drainage( Is the water allowed to seep out of the pot or trapped?) are more serious problems. I agree, it looks to me the stem is rotting. Just to be sure, I tried to do a quick search on the plant. Looks like they prefer moist but not wet soil, don't take fluoride too well, and especially don't like being soaking wet. If you've got fungus gnats it could be the soil is really moist.

Or if it truly is root bound, you're probably getting cycles where it dries out completely, then you water, then the plant gets over watered. That too will cause the stem to rot.

o

Field....fungus gnat larvae are found only in the soil or potting medium. They are white/translucent little things.....never black.

o

Dear all,

Thank you so much for your comments and suggestions. The Ti plant has been living in this water tank for years and my mom keeps changing the water for every week or so. And there is no drainage hole for the container. Luckily, there is no tiny flies around. Yesterday, my mom just cut all the yellow leaves and keep a few of green ones. Now I will wait and see if there is any change for the condition.

Once again, thanks a lot all of you.

o

Mosquito larvae are black. I guess it could be seen as a worm if it was still.

I'm not sure it's not Dracaena fragrans (corn plant.) There's not much here to propagate.

Continually adding more tap water w/o ever changing it (an assumption on my part) will definitely kill a Dracaena, look at all lucky bamboo plants treated that way. Dracs are poisoned by fluoride. If you want to continue with the water setup, I'd change the water weekly and use distilled if you just have the one plant in this kind of setup.

Do you have a spot closer to a window for it?

Ken, I couldn't be more disappointed. Do you read your email?

o

Thank you, purpleinopp, I have tried what you told me. It seems the condition is a bit better now. No insect is found till now. I will wait and see.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Clinic Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here