Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
roguejim

Attracting beneficial insects

roguejim
9 years ago

I live in southern Oregon. This last season, aphids ravaged my pepper plants. I went through quite a bit of pyrethrins, but never completely got rid of them. Some plants were too far gone to save. Next season, I would like to attract aphid predators, like lady bugs, or anything else that kills aphids.

Are there certain plants/shrubs/flowers that will attract beneficial insects that will prey on aphids?

Comments (15)

• jean001a
    9 years ago

Take a look at this. See the link ...

Here is a link that might be useful: Beneficial insects in Oregon

• jean001a
    9 years ago

Also see this link ...

Here is a link that might be useful: aphid management

• jean001a
    9 years ago

See this link ...

Here is a link that might be useful: please don't buy ladybugs

• Kimmsr
    9 years ago

Spraying broad spectrum poisons, such as the pyrethrins, will kill off the beneficial insects as well as pests.. Control of Aphids is fairly simple with just sharp sprays of water,
    Attracting beneficial, predatory, insects to the garden starts with restraint in the use of poisons as well as making sure the soil in is a good healthy condition that will grow strong and healthy plants. Then providing a habitat that makes those insect feel wanted and provides shelter, food, and moisture.

Here is a link that might be useful: Attracting beneficial insects

• roguejim
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for all the advice, and links!

Here's a pdf file that some might be interested in.

http://www.ipmnet.org/Posters_and_Presentations/Farm_Insectary_Plant_Manual_Draft2_Pressqual1.pdf

This post was edited by roguejim on Mon, Nov 17, 14 at 22:28

• Kimmsr
    9 years ago

Perhaps the link below will get people to the web site mentioned above.
    One major problem I see with that web site is they do not mention use of insecticides which will kill off the beneficial insects you are trying to attract.

Here is a link that might be useful: insectaries

• jean001a
    9 years ago

As I recall this poster was one of many (several) at a meeting/conference. And in this region, we are strongly schooled as concerns the appropriate use of pesticides.

Bottom line:
    One poster (such as this) can't be all things to all people.

• roguejim
    Original Author
    9 years ago

What meeting are you talking about? I live in Grants Pass. I doubt anyone can decipher your last posting. I know I can't.

• jean001a
    9 years ago

The conference was not in your area. Quite some years ago.

Edit:

Hmm, likely a problem with several different meanings of one word.
    - Poster could be some one who makes an entry in this or other forums, including you.
    - My reference to poster was to the linked blurb. The blurb was a poster presentation in a professional meeting.

This post was edited by jean001a on Tue, Nov 18, 14 at 17:03

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    9 years ago

The primary way to attract beneficial insects is having pests for them to eat. If you leave the pests alone, nature will take over. If you live in a toxic surburban area, (with Chemlawn trucks spraying lawns constantly, municipal spraying for mosquitoes, neighbors weed'n'feeding the lawn,) might be very frustrating.

• Kimmsr
    9 years ago

The primary way to attract Beneficial's is to provide a habitat they can live in and that means food, shelter, and water. Predators do live on foods other then insect pests, so providing nectar producing plants they can use as an alternative food source in the target insects are not present can hold them in the area.
    There is no good reason to allow insect pests to thrive in the hopes that predators will arrive to control them when a proactive plan, an insectary, can keep them around ready to go to work when those insect pests to show up.

• ronalawn82
    9 years ago

roguejim, the statement "The primary way to attract Beneficial's is to provide a habitat they can live in and that means food, shelter, and water." is accurate.
    However, we can manage any or all the elements of a habitat.
    There is an axiom in the profession that runs, "By the time you see the first insect, there are at least a hundred".
    It applies to both prey and predator.
    Seldom have I seen an aphid problem without seeing that (often solitary) adult lady bug on the move.
    Given time, the predator(s) will bring things under control but the plant or hedge will not look pretty ... and every self-respecting horticulturist will want to mitigate that.
    So it is back to the (IPM) tool box.
    It is possible to maintain the 'good looks' by selectively pruning. The "survivors" will entice the predators to stick around.
    Of course, selectively pruning. is subjective - to the 'eye of the beholder'.

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    8 years ago

Great, now we have supposedly professional spam.

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    8 years ago

Tiff, did you flag that obnoxious spam? I'll do it from my end, too. That jerk needs to be kicked out.