Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ilikewinter

Dried Foam-like ... cocoon?

ilikewinter
15 years ago

Found on my pepper plant tonight. Has a foam-like appearance, but dried, like baked meringue almost. Resembles a wasp nest because of coloring and circular pattern but without layers and layers of "paper". It's about 1.5-2" long.

Image link:

Comments (5)

• Kimmsr
    15 years ago

That looks like the cocoon that nay number of Butterfly or moth larva pupate in before emerging as the adults we see.

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    15 years ago

Take a look at a couple of pages of the attached link of praying mantid egg cases. That's what your 'cocoon' looks and sounds like to me. They come in every shape.

Here is a link that might be useful: Click here

• jellyman
    15 years ago

Ilikewinter:

That is clearly a mantis egg case. Keep it in a cool, dark place over winter, then when the sun warms things up in spring, take it outdoors and hundreds of tiny mantises will emerge. These are valuable beneficial insects, and people pay a lot of money to buy them. It is best if you do not remove the egg case from the pepper branch.

I find them nearly every fall on my pepper plants, which seem to be one of their favorite places to leave eggs. One year, I took an overwintered case and placed it in a fishbowl with screen over the top. In May, the little rascals emerged in large numbers, looking for all the world like green mosquitoes. I released them out in the orchard.

Don Yellman, Great Falls, VA

• HU-883723466
    3 years ago

Today, I found yellow foam like ball cocoons on my rosemary and cilantro plants. Ilikewinter, did you find out what it was?

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    3 years ago

Mantis egg case as stated above.

tj