Return to the Garden Clinic Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What animal made these soil piles-pics???Pls Help

Posted by wliu57 10a (My Page) on
Wed, Nov 18, 09 at 23:49

I posted this one here several wks ago w/o pics.

Now pls see the pics I made today.

When I checked the soil piles and could not find obvious holes under the soil piles.
Home Depot people said that they were made by Gopher. And they suggested using gopher killer.
I tried it wk ago. It did not work. These are the fresh ones.

Please help.

Thanks in advance!

Wei

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What animal made these soil piles-pics???Pls Help

They definitely look like Gopher holes. I would suggest Castor bean seeds. You have to dig out the hole and place the seeds as deep as you can in the hole. The gopher will eventually come back to bury the hole and hopefully take the bait. I used to put a water hose in the hole and sit and wait with BB gun in hand but that could use quite a bit of water and washes soil out of the holes which leads to cave-ins throughout the yard. After using Castor beans we didn't see gophers for several years.

o

I've seen lots and lots of mole hills just like that. Do you have lots of the in your yard? Are they within close proximity to each other?

I've even seen shrews build those types of mounds.

o

Hard to say from the angle. A slightly wider shot would help. It could be moles. It looks like the soil is pushed up. If it is moles, then the gopher killer won't work. It is probably a pellet product, and moles are insectivores, specifically they eat earthworms and grubs. They won't eat the pellets with any regularity. Go back to Home Depot and ask them for a product called Tomcat brand Mole Killer. If they don't have it, I know Lowe's does. It's shaped like a worm, which makes sense, since Moles eat worms. However, I've used it a few times, and it has never failed me. As long as you follow the directions, it should get rid of the mole within a couple of days.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Clinic Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here