Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
yongyao

Unknown diease/fungi

yongyao
10 years ago

Good afternoon everyone! I was growing tomato plants this days and a new unknown white pest go onto my plants. They are really annoying. Once infected, the leaves will first curl and turn yellow then Brown and dies off. The branches will soon turn yellow then Brown and it withers off. Baking soda doesn't seems to be working . Soapy water failed too. What is this pest?can anyone give me ideas on how to destroy them? I recently bought a chemical insecticide. I think I sprayed too much. The leaves immediately turned Brown and dies off.. I am really hopeless now. Can anybody help? All my seedlings are killed because white stuff got onto them. What I know right now about this disaster is that... it sucks off nutrients from the plants and thus it block the growth of the plant.... thanks!!!!

This pest can move! And I am sure it can fly too. I did saw some spider webs around though. I will be posting pictures of my insecticide used and the leaves symptoms. Thanks everyone!!!!

Comments (17)

• yongyao
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Another picture of pest

• yongyao
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Damaged of stems after white pest

• yongyao
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Insecticide used.

• yongyao
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Leaves damages after using above insecticide

• yongyao
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Infected stem

• yongyao
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Damaged branches

• jean001a
    10 years ago

The propellant in the aerosol spray "froze" the plant tissue.

The pest may be woolly aphids or mealybugs. Unable to determine which without a close-up.

I doubt the damage in the 3rd picture is due to the white guys, whoever they are.

In any event, the spray was excessive for that sort of critter. A good guideline is "Ask first, spray later but only if needed."

Can often squish with finger tips if only a few; if you're squeamish, could use gloves or a tissue. If more, an insecticidal soap -- that is, if the labels says it's safe for tomatoes.

• yongyao
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hey Jean! Thanks for the reply. So what should I do now? I mean.... fruit is starting to develop and because of these white guys.... it's not growing... how?? Thanks!

• yongyao
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Oh yes one more thing!

When I squash them, red blood will be seen. Is it aphids? I place wooden sticks to support my tomato plant as it was more than 3Metres tall! Thank u

• yongyao
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Close up of that stupid white guy

• yongyao
    Original Author
    10 years ago

After it was squashed :)

• jean001a
    10 years ago

Difficult to see much detail on the critter. Do you have a local agricultural authority you can consult?

As for what to do:
    - The plant is quite spindly. It needs much more light. Any chance of that?
    - If the white fluffy critters are only a few, squish -- gently -- one at a time. (If they are damaging/destroying the stem, then you need to consult with someone in your area about local plant pests.)
    - The leaves damaged by the spay will either live or die; nothing you can do will help. (And please don't use aerosol sprays on plants again.)

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    10 years ago

you are on the verge of killing this thing with too much love ...

not only have you treated it with an inappropriate spray ... well.. inappropriate in form .... as you freeze dried the leaves with the propellant..

now .. mere days alter.. you are dissecting it ...

experimenting and discovery is highly approved.. but at some point.. once you try one thing.. you simply have to give it a few weeks see the result ...

it does not surprise me.. that a plant that is in full fruit.. does not appear... to be growing.. it is using its resources in different places ...

as noted.. from what little we can see.. your plant is stressed ... and bugs and disease are attracted to stressed plants ...

ken

• yongyao
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi everyone thanks for the reply and help! Well... I don't have any agricultural authority to ask for help. I know this guy is in lots of stress now. What do you think I should do now? Clone the plant and have another tomato cloned plant? Thank you so much

• yongyao
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi Jean! Well i was thinking of squashing them however this guys come in endless wave and this tomato guy is just 2 times taller than me. Actually the reason why this plant got so tall is because the leaves all die out from the bottom to the top. Now my cucumber plant are getting infected too. Sigh my cucumber plants are in such a nice shape and after the infection, it stopped growing again. Perhaps fighting off that white guys. What should i do now. Feel like burning those white guys --

• jean001a
    10 years ago

As was suggested, we need to ID the critter before a remedy can be proposed.

The tomato is stressed. All I have is guesses. Perhaps too little light, possibly too small a pot, possibly overwatered, possibly too little fertilizer.

If you have a source of healthy plants, and adequate time in your growing season, I suggest you start over. And if you purchase a new plant, ask the seller for advice.

• yongyao
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thx for the reply! My pot maybe too small and here receive lots of sun. Perhaps either too little fertilizer and too small a pot. However its so huge already how to retransplant it? Thanks!