Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ms_minnamouse

Does this count as a plant pest?

ms_minnamouse
12 years ago

Can people count as a plant pest?

This is a bit of a rant, as well as my needing advice.

Not to share my life story or anything but we moved in to our house 10 years ago. There was basically no landscaping, besides the junk the builders threw in, since it was a new lot.

I'm an adult and I've been having to live at home with my parents because of some health issues. I can't do a lot but I thought, what better way to pay them back than to landscape for them? They meaning both my mom and dad, agreed and encouraged me. I don't have a lot of money since I can't work full time and recently, not at all now so a lot of the plants have been traded for and grown from seed, propagated by me or painstakingly saved up for or bargain hunted. In other words, most of the plants that I put in, you can't just go out and replace easily, plus they has sentimental value, since I nursed most of them from tiny little things.

Throughout the years, my dad runs rampant on the lawnmower before anyone else can get to the mowing or he even will mow after the mowing has been done already. Yes, he re-mows it again. Don't ask me why because I couldn't tell you. Anyways, the point is that he's been killing my plants one by one. He mows up and over garden borders, he mows over stakes (that he told me to put there so he will see the plants, even though the plants are quite hard to miss), he'll even mow over and into large shrubs and trees. He also mows INTO the woods so I can't even plant woodland plants. I can't even have things in planters because he throws them out! Especially if things are dormant for the cold weather. No matter how many times I explain that they are not dead, but it makes no difference because he also throws out my live potted plants too. He also "weeds" my plants, this past summer, he ripped one of my prize clematises off the trellis and it may not survive that and also the following:

My mother hired some one to do some weeding in the front. My mom didn't give any directions and the woman ripped all my plants out of the ground. My prairie smoke, my columbines, my pestemons, my camellias, my roses, etc. It's barren now except for some ugly things that she left and also planted. Some run of the mill shrubs that they have even at grocery stores in the spring.

My mom didn't even tell me that this was happening so that I could intervene. Then my mom had her come back to do more damage.

My mom can't understand why I'm frustrated and angry. All my money that I put into it and all my hard work. What was the point? Why encourage me to do it all and then destroy everything?

Then she has the brilliant idea that I can start again! And that I don't have to worry, because she'll pay for it this time!!!

I like gardening. It's one of the few things that I can do and do well and that is rewarding to me. But it feels and seems like they're trying to destroy this for me.

What should I do? Should I just give up?

I can't afford to rent land elsewhere and garden and also I can't go out often enough to get over to where ever it would be to take care of a plot.

Comments (3)