Return to the Garden Clinic Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Weird frangipani problem!

Posted by vlanka (My Page) on
Thu, Dec 13, 07 at 3:51

Hello! I have a frangipani that is planted in the ground and is about three years old. I have noticed just recently that the bark on the stems is splitting open and there are roots growing out of the splits. They aren't long roots but they look like clusters of maggots and it is quite freaky and weird. Does ANYONE know what is going on?! I live in Sydney, Australia. Cheers!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Weird frangipani problem!

vlanka, your observation has been dealt with on the Plumeria forum.

o

Hi

I live in Sydney Australia. I have been renting my current home for 5.5 years - not sure how old the tree is but it's obviously at least 8 years old. My frangipani tree is also exhibiting the same weird roots emerging from the branches (not anywhere near the ground!!).

Is it worthwhile cutting off the branch with the roots and replanting? I suspect the soil around the tree is probably not quite sandy enough. Suggestions welcome and appreciated.

Don't know how to upload a photo - sorry!

With thanks in advance.
June

o

• Posted by jean001 z8aPortland, OR (My Page) on
    Wed, Apr 28, 10 at 1:16

june,

Most likely adventitious roots -- in other words, roots sprouting in an unusual place. Fairly common in tomatoes. Triggered by stress, or high humidity, or for unknown reasons.

FYI: Next time, start a new thread with your question. That way you can have the answers sent directly to you. In this instance, the original person (back in Dec 2007) will receive this reply.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Clinic Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here