Return to the Garden Clinic Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
good? bad? or just ugly?

Posted by sirsedum 7 (My Page) on
Wed, Dec 23, 09 at 8:50

so we were planting plugs of sedum this morning and i found aver a dozen of these little guys in one plug. i pretty sure its a Centipede but not 100%. also is it good or bad, or just ugly and cant do anything. thanks guys and gals here are some of the pics. these photos were take at about 55x so keep in mind, there tiny
http://i1000.photobucket.com/albums/af127/sirsedum/centi3.jpg
http://i1000.photobucket.com/albums/af127/sirsedum/centi1.jpg
http://i1000.photobucket.com/albums/af127/sirsedum/centi2.jpg

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: good? bad? or just ugly?

Looks more like a millipede. Millipedes always have two pair of legs per body segment, which is what I believe I see in the last image. Millipedes also coil themselves up routinely, and centipedes do not.

Unfortunately, millipedes will feed on small plant roots if they don't have ample sources of decaying organic matter on which to feast. Centipedes are predatory animals.

In my opinion, this would be a good situation in which to use diatomaceous earth (horticultural/food grade).

o

Rhizo, what does the Diatomaceous earth do? these plugs are fulled with a healthy mix of organic material.

o

Food/horticultural grade DE is very effective at scratching the exoskeletons of such critters, causing dessication. It would be especially successful with such young animals as your millipedes.

You'll need to address the bigger picture, however. Where did these little guys come from? Do you have a greenhouse (or similiar) where they are breeding?

If you are planting your sedum plugs outside in the real world, I don't think I'd worry about the centipedes too much. But in the confines of a greenhouse....

o

Millipedes, "thousand legged worms", generally cause so little damage to living plants that seldom does any control measure need to be taken, except in unhealthy soils. Since Millipeds prefer to eat decaying organic matter those soils that have ample quantities of OM in the soil generally do not see problmes with them.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Clinic Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here