Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
meyermike_1micha

How do you know when scale is dead?

meyermike_1micha
14 years ago

I found some of three of my plants...I sprayed one with alchohol only, another with dish soap and neem oil, then the other with a mix of neem oil, murphies oil soap,fish emulsion, and alchohol...

I took a look at the plants this am, and they were all still attached to the leaves and braches..

How long does it take for them to die, and how do you know when they have..?

I did scrape a few off some leaves this am, and when I did, there was a fluidy residue under them..

I am begining to think there is no sure way to know, and if they will come back..

Someone at a nursery told me to systemicly treat them with Bayer tree and srub insect control. They said it is a sure bet they will die since they will be sucking on the toxins...Hummmm

Comments (10)

• donaldb
    14 years ago

Your best to scrape them off.The info you got from the nursery is correct. Bayers is great for scale, also 50/50 mix of alcohol and 409 cleaner, or Bayer Advanced 3-In-1 Insect, Disease & Mite Control or Ortho Orthenex. All of these will kill scale. Scale usually lightens up when dead.
    Rember to check carefully around the stems of the plants at soil level.

• meyermike_1micha
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hi donald..

That is what I did..I scraped off all I could see...Let me tell you, some of those buggers are camoflauged and it is so hard to tell if you get them at all times..Especially the ones where the leaf and branches meet,and in the crevices of the branches and stems....

Well I hope all my other plants are ok...They may have attacked them too.But I havn't seen any..
    I am going to do water all of them the Bayer stuff as a deterent and so I can relax a bit in case I didn't hit them all up myself...;-)

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    14 years ago

Be absolutely certain that the Bayer product you've chosen is intended for container use AND indoor use. You don't want to be inhaling fumes all winter long. If the labeling doesn't make it crystal clear, call the 800 number provided.

• meyermike_1micha
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Yes..Thankyou for that Dori..

It actually has instructions for indoor containerized plants!! I remember you saying something like this to another member a ways back..

It calls for 2 and 1/2 TBLS per 20 gallon pot..

Hoping you are well!

Mike

• maifleur01
    14 years ago

The instructions "It calls for 2 and 1/2 TBLS per 20 gallon pot.." may need to be reviewed. Most instructions for scale would not read like this but more like so many measures to be put in a larger amount of liquid to be sprayed. Dumping insect killer in the planted pot would not spread it enought to kill all of the problem insects.

I am probably wrong but your statement just bothers me.

Sorry to be a interfering old hen if I am wrong.

• meyermike_1micha
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Sorry

No problem......That is what an employee told me from the nursery over the phone...But reading the bottle says different..At least he got the part right that it is also use for containerized plants..

Thanks..

Exact instructions are.......Containerized plants...2 and 2/3 Tablespoon for each 5 gallon container...Indoor and outdoor use...Bayer advanced 12 month Tree and Shrub protect and feed. ills insects including Aphids,Japenese Beetle,Leafminers,Scale,Whitelies, and many other pest...Systemically... Does not kill spidermites though..

The product is taken up by the plants roots then dispersed through the leaves and plant while pest are sucing on it. in turn they die..

Mike

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    14 years ago

But does it say that you can use it on INDOOR plants?

• meyermike_1micha
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Dori, I saw your recent post and had to satisfy my curiousity myself by going to Home Depot tonight, and finding the same exact product these people read me..

Just so happens the instructions said nothing about indoor containers..Just container plants in general...Now if I am to guess what you are feeling about this, I would say you would of told me to leave it there on the shelf..

So I did,,:-)

Now since I passed this product up, please help me kill these buggers....I have no idea how long it takes for them to die..Here it is 2 days later after I sprayed them, with neem oil,alchohol,murphies oil soap,dish soap, and fish emulsion mixed together. It looks like they are still hanging on, especially on the veins of some of my citrus...Is is because the temps are very cool in my room, and they do eat or are not mobile at such cold temps? Will they eventually die off? Do the temps need to be warmer to encourage activity? Do I have to find every single one of them, and scrape them off? I have no idea how many could of infected my other plants..:-(

What would you do? I have about 40 plants in the same room and I only saw this scale on just a couple of my plants..

Please help me as soon as possible for doing away with them the natural way, since I too your advice and passed up on the easy but unhealthy way..

Thankyou Dori

Mike..:-)

• mrscruff
    14 years ago

hey meyermike,

i'd love to hear how you got on with the scale. i've been struggling with some on my balcony. it now affects my plumeria, tahitian lime, curry plant and chinese star jasmine and i'm getting pretty worried. i've tried aggressive pruning of affected leaves, clearing matter from the bases, blasting as many of the buggers as possible off with water and rinsing it with a detergent solution. i've looked for the Beyer product you mentioned to no avail - not sure if it's available in Australia.

All advice is appreciated!

Thanks,

Barry

Sponsored
Landscape Concepts of Fairfax, Inc.
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
Northern VA's Creative Team of Landscape Designers & Horticulturists