Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cliffpruitt

Aphids (I think) on a small Tacoma Stans

Cliff Pruitt
9 years ago

Still pretty new to "not-killing-plants" so I'm not entirely sure I'm correct on the problem here, let alone the best course of action.

I have a little Tacoma Stans in a pot. I keep it on the west side of the house so it's shaded for the first part of the day but gets a lot of sun from around midday / late morning on. I have only been watering it lately when I notice the soil drying out quite a bit, though it's been a little rainy the past week or two.

For a while the plant was doing great and had nice bright green leaves, but lately the bottom leaves on each branch have started turning sport brown. On closer look I noticed (what I believe are) aphids on the healthy leaves at the branch tops).

So I'm not sure what to do to help this plant. I don't want to overcompensate and start overwatering if the browning isn't because of lack of water. I don't really want the aphids (but would like to confirm that I even know what an aphid looks like when I see it) so I'd assume spraying the plant with something to kill them would be good (advice?) but I'm not sure if aphids can cause the browning. I'm not even sure that the browning isn't a natural part of the plant growing and lengthening it's branches (though I'd assume not so much) or going a bit dormant over winter.

Anyone have any suggestions on what I should try if anything? -- Thanks!

{{gwi:2130098}}

Comments (9)

• Cliff Pruitt
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Another photo

{{gwi:2130099}}

• lazy_gardens
    9 years ago

"So I'm not sure what to do to help this plant. I don't want to overcompensate and start overwatering if the browning isn't because of lack of water. "

Probably salt build-up. Container plants are prone to salt buildup ... learn how to "flush" the pots, and use a moisture meter to know when to water.

Those are aphids, but they aren't causing the brown spots. If you leave them alone, something that eats aphids will show up and take care of them. Hummingbirds, for example, eat lots of aphids.

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    9 years ago

It's never a good idea to simply leave aphids alone, especially on container plants. Those darned things multiply faster than most other creatures on the planet.

But they can be controlled by fairly strong streams of plain water, directed in a manner to knock the aphids off. On one lone plant, you could use a plant mister in one hand and use the other to squish.

When I see blotches like that, I worry about the quality of the potting medium. Peaty, dense, mucky mixes are almost impossible to water properly. They may retain too much moisture at the bottom of a container leading to problems of many kinds.

With such a planting mix, we always worry about overwatering, and therefore don't water properly. The solution is to find one that is very porous and course textured right out of the bag (my preference), or amend the medium with bark fines or perlite, or make your own from a combination of ingredients.

Are these plants evergreen or semi-evergreen in your location? Any chance that the temperatures have been extra chilly?

Attached is a link to show you the Fafard heavyweights. They are the only mixes I've used for many years, starting when I was growing greenhouse crops professionally. I have one of my locally owned garden centers or nurseries special order for me now that I'm retired from growing. I only recommend the heavyweight mixes.

(Just a happy customer....not affiliated in anyway. ðÂÂÂ)

Here is a link that might be useful: Check out the Heavyweight mixes.

• Cliff Pruitt
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Well, doing a bit more reading here's what I see (source link attached)

Hardiness: USDA Zones 7 - 11. Freeze tolerance varies dramatically, with some forms able to survive temperatures down to around 10úF (-12.2ú C) and others severely injured by only a few degrees of frost.

One point to note is that we did have a very strong cold front (as did the rest of the US at the same time) during which freeze warnings were issued. I brought the plant indoors but only after the first night so one night it was outdoors during some pretty cold temps (for this area anyway). Is it possible that the browning leaves are a result of the freeze? I don't recall seeing them prior to the freeze but I can't be sure about that.

Usage
    Yellow elder is typically deciduous and may freeze back or have a rather awkward shape ...

If the plant is deciduous is it possible that the leaves are simply dropping for the winter? I have no clue how this plant responds to winters in FL. This I've only had it since September.

I don't want to repot it too frequently. If the soil seems to be an issue (though to me it appears to drain pretty well and I didn't have this issue when it was a bit warmer and it was raining every darn day) I will, but it hasn't been in this pot too long. If it's more likely related to the cold I'd prefer to wait till sometime next year to worry about repotting.

Here is a link that might be useful: Floridata: Tecoma stans

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    9 years ago

i try to keep EVERYTHING i have potted... out of the sun.. during the heat of the day ...

which means.. i would have it on the east or north side of house ... or in full bright shade ...

do NOT confuse a FULL SUN plant.. with a potted plant ... that would be confusing the issue between the plant ... and what is most likely the issue.. the POT ...

your history is that it is shaded until the worst part of the day .. IMHO ...

this leads to water management issues ...

show us the pot.. with the tree .. how old is the media.. what is your watering protocol .. etc ...

but do get rid of the sucking vermin ... before the population explodes ...

you plant is stressed ... somehow or another.. such plants send out signals.. and attract the vermin ... get it in better shape.. and you will have less vermin ...

ken

• jean001a
    9 years ago

Take a look at this link ...

Here is a link that might be useful: how to grow Tecoma stans

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    9 years ago

Gosh ken.....you don't grow plants that require full sun...in the sun? Even containerized plants need to be sited where they do best. Most of my three season outdoor containers live happily in the full Alabama sun all day long.

Cliff, you have to be the judge about the condition and quality of your potting medium. It's a good sign that you think it drains freely. And you are right that this is not a good time of year for transplanting.

I suspect that your plant is reacting to the temperature change. I'd moniter the moisture level carefully during colder temperatures.

• Kimmsr
    9 years ago

The browning on those leaves looks to me like leaf scorch.

Here is a link that might be useful: leaf scorch

• Cliff Pruitt
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Sorry for the delayed response. Work has had me unusually busy. Thank you everyone for your replies and advice. I've sprayed the aphids off with water and will continue to watch for them in case I missed some and they come back. I'm going to keep an eye on the soil, making sure it stays a little moist, and will try to bring it indoors for very cold nights. Outside of that, I suppose I'll just wait and see if the problem grows or not. I've clipped off the dead leaves so that I can more easily see if new leaves die off.

Thanks again for everyone's input. It's very helpful when you're as new at this as I am!

Sponsored
FineLine Kitchens, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars81 Reviews
Award Winning Kitchen & Bath Design Center Serving the DMV Area