Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chilliwin

Disease?

chilliwin
10 years ago

Please look at the picture, this plant is Aji Chuncho I overwinter it. The color of the stem makes me confuse, the center (pith) has rusty color and there is also a ring of chocolate color. I am not sure whether it is a disease or not, so I am requesting your opinions.

Thanks in advance.
Caelian

Comments (6)

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    10 years ago

My goodness, you sure do love your hot peppers, don't you?

Though interior discoloration can indicate the presence of a systemic disease in some plants, I have no idea if that's what is going on with your pepper.

What is the condition of the plant? Are you providing special lighting for those plants that you are overwintering?

• chilliwin
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Rhizo_1, thank you for the reply.

I do love my hot peppers a lot, I made a lot of pickle and dried a lot. The pickle with olive oil are well fermented and very delicious now and Lemon drops vinegar pickle are also so good.

This plant had strange problems when it was young. These pictures had taken in May 2013.

The leaves were drooping even though it looked healthy.
    {{gwi:1193855}}

It got rusty leaves too.
    {{gwi:1193856}}

All these problems were disappeared when it was getting mature.

The present condition of the plant.

{{gwi:1193857}}

I did overwinter and still now it has no sign of new shoots. I use LED growlights.

I have only this Aji Chuncho plant so I do not like to lose it. I washed the wound with hydrogen peroxide and put some sealant.

Caelian

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    10 years ago

I suggest that you dispose of this plant, Caelian. Toss the potting medium and sterilize the container before reusing. Many diseases of this plant family (Solanaceae) are systemic, spreading throughout the entire plant via the vascular system. Systemic diseases can't be cured.

Seeds should be pretty easy to find on line....it's a popular pepper. Did you grow yours from a seed or did you purchase a plant?

• chilliwin
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I started it from the seed. I do appreciate your advice, thank you Rhizo_1.

Caelian

• ifraser25
    10 years ago

It's not easy keeping chillis over winter in cold climates. They are very disease-prone. Keep some seeds and sow them as annuals. There are some very hot peppers that grow faster than this ie. Djolokia. You will need a hot summer in Denmark though.:-). I grow malaguetas but they are really biennials. Good luck all the same. Ian (England & Brazil).

• chilliwin
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Ifraser25, it is true they are really disease-prone. Now I lost about 4/5 plants. Some of the other plants have no sign of new shoots but the stems are still green.

I started germination new seeds, they are growing very well :-)

Thank you for sharing.

Caelian