Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sunshine_mom

mushroom in soil and gnats

sunshine_mom
10 years ago

Hi everyone! I have a mushroom growing out of soil of my anthurium. Does anyone know why and what's wrong with my soil? I also have some gnats flying around this plant and my gardenia. What are the best ways to get rid of those? I've heard of soapy water or store bought stuff, but I'd like something that will help for sure. I even tried to let the soil dry on my gardenia, but that didn't help. TIA.

Comments (8)

• jean001a
    10 years ago

Nothing is wrong when it comes to mushrooms. It's "feeding" on dead organic matter in the potting mix but not your plant. Collect & discard it.

As for the gnats, likely your potting mix has lots of organic stuff in it and it's too wet/moist.

Let it dry off a bit. If that doesn't get rid of the gnats in 3 weeks, get some Mosquito Dunks (or granules of the same stuff) to dissolve in the irrigation water -- continue for at least 3 weeks to break the gnat life cycle.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    10 years ago

are 'gnats' a guess ... ??

probably fungus gnats.. so you were right.. lol ... google such ...

is that really potting MEDIA??? ... or is it compost from the yard??? .. and hence your use of the word SOIL??? ... instead of media???

if so.. that is why it has mushrooms..

and that is also why its remaining too wet..

proper media is ENGINEERED for various purposes.. and one of those purposes.. is proper water management.. including proper levels of water retention.. and drainage..

when you start by putting some version of mother earths soil in a pot.. you are already behind the eight ball ... no engineering ... cheap/??? yes.. the best or easiest thing to use.. no ...

i am sure.. if you head over to the houseplant forum ... you can learn all kinds of stuff about media ...

ken

ps: shrooms are a bonus show of ma nature.. as noted... they are part of the decomposition process ... which is one reason i suspect unfinished compost.. rather than media ... anyway.. they grow on dead things.. so they are irrelevant to your plant ...

• sunshine_mom
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you. This is potting mix by MiracleGro, which I believe is made up of compost, peat moss and perlite. I suppose I should use different mix for anthurium or just add more perlite to this already purchased mix.

• sunshine_mom
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you. This is potting mix by MiracleGro, which I believe is made up of compost, peat moss and perlite. I suppose I should use different mix for anthurium or just add more perlite to this already purchased mix.

• Kimmsr
    10 years ago

What are called Fungus Gnats are what come to mind here and the linked article will help you decide what to do about them. That you have mushrooms growing in that soil does indicate that most likely you are keeping it too moist for the plants good.

Here is a link that might be useful: About Fungus Gnats

• art33
    10 years ago

HereâÂÂs another link (see below) that might be helpful. They suggest using a Hydrogen Peroxide solution to kill the gnat larvae. IâÂÂve never tried it but it sounds logical to me :-)

Art

Here is a link that might be useful: Gnat Larvae Killer

• Kimmsr
    10 years ago

I have seen recommendations to use Hydrogen peroxide many times, seldom from those that study insects, ranging from a 1 part H2O2 to 4 parts H2O to 1 part H2O2 to 35 parts H2O.
    However, since allowing the top inch or so of the potting soil to dry out is the simplest solution that should be the first to be tried. For some 25 years or so in diagnosing potted plant problems the vast majority are, and were, because the potting soil was kept too wet.

• sunshine_mom
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you everyone. I did keep the potting mix dry for a few days and don't see anything flying around. Hope after I water they won't reappear :)