Return to the Garden Clinic Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Dark eggs on leaves and bark of Japanese Maple

Posted by Perrin390 9 (My Page) on
Sat, Dec 14, 13 at 13:53

I have a couple of dwarf japanese maples that I've been keeping indoors. Within a week, it looks like something laid a bunch of eggs on the bark and leaves. Then they hatched into a bunch of small bugs crawling on the tree :(

Anyone know what it is, where it came from, and what the best way to treat it is?

I ended up just taking the trees outside and water-blasting the critters off...

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Dark eggs on leaves and bark of Japanese Maple

Rather than eggs, perhaps aphids. If so, and depending upon the size and location of the tree, easily washed off or squished. Repeat as needed.

o

Would it be possible to focus on ONE of these insects? I can't really tell for certain what they are. They certainly seem to be aphid-like. Aphid eggs are dark, by the way. Jean's suggestion, by the way, is the recommended means of control.

For aphids to have been that busy on your maple, the adults would have to have been present prior to this infestation. Was the tree outside at some point? May I ask why you've been keeping these deciduous trees inside?

o

two further thoughts ...

if rather new to you.. they came on the plant.. which would make the seller suspect ...

indoor plants.. can not be taken outside and immediately left in sun ... they will burn ... they would need to be hardened off to full sun ... plus a tree in a black pot in sun.. is often.. not good.. the pot/media can get too hot ...

ken

o

First time posting... Wow what a great forum!

Jean: Thanks! I'll try getting a better shot, but I think you are right about the aphids. Water blasting seems to have taken care of 90% of them. Will do that with manual inspection for the next couple of days.

Rhizo: The tree was outside but it was getting sun burned so we moved it to a shadier sun room. Probably will leave it out for the winter and find a permanent spot for it outside.

Ken: Thanks for the tips. I found a shady spot so hopefully it will be okay. You are also right about the pot being black. I'll look for a nice pot as well.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Clinic Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here