Return to the Garden Clinic Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Good or bad?

Posted by subtrop 10b (My Page) on
Thu, Dec 13, 12 at 13:55

Fluffy white mass, about 2 inches on papaya leave. You can see oval shaped eggs(?) inside, about 2 mm long. First time I see this anywhere in the yard. What might this be?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Good or bad?

Good thing I left it where it is, if it's what I think it is:
braconid wasp cocoons...

o

Braconids parasitize insects. They don't lay eggs on plant material.

If you're interested in learning what it is, I suggest you "cage" it by enclosing it with a sheer fabric such as bridal tulle, then check periodically to see what develops/hatches.

Oh yes, and let us know too.

o

I found out what it is on bugguide:
http://bugguide.net/node/view/615478/bgimage
And they say under neath is the caterpillar, you just don't see it anymore, since it's covered with the cocoons from the wasps. And yes, I do have that large caterpillars eating my papaya leaves.

o

While I am not sure what this is I am fairly sure it is not and egg case of a Braconid Wasp.
Is this an egg case or a cocoon?
Is this the larva of a beneficial or a pest?

Here is a link that might be useful: About Braconid Wasps

o

The text on the bugguide page clearly states that they are braconid cocoons. One image there shows an end view. The cocoons are in the fuzzy stuff surrounding the dead caterpillar.

God detective work. Thanks.

BTW, where do you live?

o

There are also other images of this oddity to be found on the internet. Very cool!

o

jean001a, I live in South Florida. And I'm glad that I didn't destroy this when I found it first, I just thought another pest to devour my papaya leaves....

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Clinic Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here