Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
luvpatch2

Help fungus gnats eating roots of viola plants

luvpatch2
9 years ago

I have planted 14 flats of violas around the front of my house . I think fungus gnats are eating the roots of the plants one by one. Suddenly the plant wilts and then I can easily pull the plant right up. Is this fungus gnats? I see them flying around the plants. Are they in the soil and what can I do about this? I have sprayed neem oil on top of the plants but not sure what to do about the soil.I spent so much money on these and I am sick that they are slowing being eaten.!How do I treat the soil? I appreciate any suggestions you can give me. Thanks so much?

Comments (4)

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    9 years ago

Is the soil being kept overly moist, excessively irrigated? Does the site drain rapidly after a soaking?

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    9 years ago

we often speak of planting a diverse collection of plants ...

mostly so we dont get in a situation like this... where absolutely ALL are at risk ...

do NOT spray anything else .. until you have IDd a target.. even if using organics.. spraying willy nilly ... is frowned upon ...

how about a pic or two ...

dig up a one foot square of soil.. and FIND OUT what is going on down there ... tell us what you find ...

you havent given us many hard facts .. like.. when planted.. fert, if any ... how big were the plants ... any root surgery, or breaking apart of circling roots ... etc ....

and.. are we sure on the ID .... ??? .... [just checking]

in my MI .... they are not a long lived plant ... if you planted them in spring ... they might just be tired ....

ken

• jean001a
    9 years ago

I doubt the fungus gnats are the problem.

Violas are subject to root disease which kills the plants Excessive soil moisture must be avoided. Once the disease is established in the soil, you won't be able to grow more violas there successfully.

• Kimmsr
    9 years ago

"Adult fungus gnats donâÂÂt damage plants or bite people; their presence is primarily considered a nuisance. Larvae, however, when present in large numbers, can damage roots and stunt plant growth, particularly in seedlings and young plants. Significant root damage and even plant death have been observed in interior plantscapes and in houseplants when high populations were associated with moist, organically-rich soil. Thus, a houseplant that is wilting may not indicate a lack of water, but rather root damage by fungus gnat larvae or (more commonly) other causes of unhealthy roots. However, too much or too little water, root decay fungi, and improper soil conditions (e.g., poor drainage, or waterlogging) are much more common causes of wilted plants.

Serious fungus gnat damage is more common in greenhouses, nurseries, and sod farms. Although larvae also feed on plant roots outdoors, they donâÂÂt usually cause serious damage."

Fungus gnats can be somewhat of a problem in soils that are too moist, which can also cause root rot. However, as noted in the quoted section from the linked article about them, Fungus Gnats are not usually a big problem, even in potted plants.
    The simplest means of control of Fungus Gnats is to allow the soil to dry out some, generally the index finger poked into the growing media to the first knuckle should come out with no media, before watering again.

Here is a link that might be useful: About Fungus Gnats