Return to the Garden Clinic Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Insect ID Please

Posted by StephenInNYC 7a (My Page) on
Mon, Dec 2, 13 at 14:47

I currently have a cloud of these swarming in my yard in the afternoons. They look a lot like lacewings but they only have 2 wings. For some perspective on size, the wings are each about a quarter inch in length.
I just want to know whether I should be concerned about these.
Thanks in advance for any help.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Insect ID Please

Looks like a crane fly.
You're still seeing insects? Must be nice...

tj

o

It sure does look like a crane fly, but I've never seen one with wings that tiny.

o

Be nice if I read a bit more thoroughly. Wings a quarter of an inch in length? Perhaps a Winter Crane Fly, but even that may be too big.

tj

o

No, you needn't be concerned.

o

But what is it, Jean? With wings that small, it's probably not much bigger than a mosquito! I don't think it's a (female) midge.

o

It belongs to the insect order Diptera. Common members of that group are flies, mosquitoes, midges, crane flies.

Your creature doesn't fit the size or shape of potential pests of the order Diptera. Usually, very small fellows such as yours are simply part of the food chain.

So, you say that you have a cloud of them flying in the yard.
Sounds like a recent emergence of non-pests.

o

Thank you!
Glad to know they aren't a threat.
It had occurred to me that they resemble mosquitoes or mosquito hawks (which are crane flies, right?). I was just so surprised to have such large numbers swarming this late in the season here.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Clinic Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here