Return to the Garden Clinic Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Assistance please---My Mulching Plan

Posted by janlim z7 DC (My Page) on
Sun, Dec 1, 13 at 17:05

planted a row of 16 four feet tall arborvitae trees in mid October. Just given 4 free bales of hay (of unknown origin) and thought I would apply it around the trees. Come early spring, ! plan to cover the straw with layers of newspaper and top it off wood chips.
Don't have wood chips now--- thus, this temporary mulch plan for the arborvitae trees to help them through the winter.
Am very concerned since know that hay has seeds which result in weeds. However thought I would address any weeds situation with covering the hay with layers of newspaper and wood chips in early spring.
Your thoughts and advice are deeply appreciated!!!!!!!
Many thanks-----

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Assistance please---My Mulching Plan

Your arbs will be fine in zone 7 even without mulch. Your main goal is to keep them watered properly. A good soaking and then nothing until the soil is dry 2 inches down. Make sure the soaking gets the rootball good and moist.

I'd compost the hay.

tj

o

free is free.. but sometimes not worth it ...

i too .. used to scavenge halloween bales ...

in one case.. i recall a weed nightmare the following year ...

but i didnt have a plan to followup with other stuff in spring ...

mulch is not really a pest issue.. this may have been better posted.. for a wider reply base.. in the conifer or perennial or annual forum ... rather than here ...

but i do NOT care where you post.. just a suggestion due to the lack of responses ..

ken

o

How about some leaves instead of the hay? Are you trying to establish a zone that doesn't need to be mowed around them?

o

Recently gave the arborvitae trees a blanket of leaves.....not hay.
Now, I wonder if I can place newspapers and and bark chips above the leaves when spring arrives......
Many thanks, everyone!

o

Newspaper on top of the leaves followed by mulch will be fine. Just make sure the newspaper doesn't deflect water away from the roots of the arbs while you wait for it to break down.

tj

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Clinic Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here