Return to the Garden Clinic Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Covering for freeze

Posted by josiegeo TX gulf coast (My Page) on
Mon, Dec 10, 12 at 17:59

Do I need to cover my beautiful allysum for a mild freeze? Expecting low 30's tonight...

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Covering for freeze

who knows.. when you are betting against mother nature ...

a bed sheet over them.. retains soil heat.. and keeps the potential freezing tissue from .. well.. freezing .. lol.. what happens with a deep frost.. is that individual cells in the leaf.. freeze.. thereby breaking wall integrity.. and that part of the leaf is damaged ...

if its common alyssum .. it nearly lives thru my z5 winter .. so you MIGHT not need it.. but what the heck.. its just a little exercise ...

just get any covering off before temps spike tomorrow ..

ken

o

I'd expect that your alyssum will do fine. If the flowers get singed, it will soon rebloom.

o

Your Texas A & M University says that Alyssum is a hardy annual which means it can survive some below freezing temperatures. Covering will extend how low temperatures could drop before this plant is frost killed.

Here is a link that might be useful: Alyssum

o

sooooo .. what happened???

ken

o

• Posted by garf 10B (My Page) on
    Mon, Dec 17, 12 at 16:06

We don't need freeze protection in Miami.

o

Is that supposed to be sad or funny? I laughed, I cried...

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Clinic Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here