Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gator69_gw

Jad plant rotting

Gator69
11 years ago

Can anyone give me advice on my Jad plant? It's large& 8 yrs old. The main trunk is starting to get soft w/ rot I guess. How can I save my buddy!!!!! Hate to loose this plant......... It came from Ca. to Ga. last yr.

Comments (18)

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    11 years ago

if you mean jadE ...

you probably rotted the roots with too much water ...

see link.. i just did the same.. and am trying to save it ..

i personally do NOT mind the loss of the old one.. i am making new vigorous ones .. in other words.. i will still have my buddy ...

ken

Here is a link that might be useful: link

11 years ago

hey gator.. i see you went to my other post ... and asked questions there ...

yeah.. i guess you should cut back water..

but if the roots all rotted.. and we are not superman.. so we can see inside the pot ... then cutting back water.. really wont help ... since the plant has no tools .. roots.. to suck up the water ...

propagate a few pieces .. like i did ...

and then cut back water.. like i did ...

and what you will probably find.. like i did..

is that in 3 weeks.. momma continues to decline.. while the rooted pieces.. perked right up.. once they were 'stuck' in damp media ...

if you get a babe to root ... you can get rid of your buddy.. mostly because it is going to drive you insane.. watching it die ... and i try not to live with that stress in my life ... once i am sure.. he will live in a new form ...

ken

ps: i replied back here.. so the reply.. will go to your email.. instead of mine ....

• Gator69
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hey Ken, I'm not good w/ my new I-Pad......don't understand how to send mess. Etc to people. I think I'm sending u a photo of my "buddy". I don't know the first thing about how to propagate if I have to.... Is their some place I can learn how.... Wish I could just "talk" to someone about my jade... I'm better w/ email than going to this site so I hope I didn't reply to u the wrong way.

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    11 years ago

I agree it's easy to make new little plants from your existing plant. But it would be a shame for them to meet the same fate.

I'd say replacing the soil would be the key to hoping your plant can recover its' health. A succulent like this needs a chunky soil with air pockets in it. In the meantime, you may want to remove the root ball from the pot and let it dry out. It looks soggy.

There are many good discussions on the cacti forum. But generally this plant likes to be dry with an occasional soaking, in a soil that doesn't stay soggy after the soaking. If water were to sit in the drip tray under the pot, it would make the plant ill. Do you think that's what happened?

It also looks like it's not getting enough light from the distance between the leaves, and the fact that they are not red at the tips at this time of year.

This plant lived in full sun on my front porch all summer.

11 years ago

dont worry about the technology ... we'll get you there .. i dont mind the personal email ... i just used to hate.. when peeps would send me pix .. huge files ... and crash my computer ...

but the whole point of GW is to have a conversation.. as in adding purple above ... shes pretty sharp .. [or if its a guy calling himself purple.. well pretty weird.. lol]

did you hit the link in my first post.. about how i propagated mine ... you should still do that .. while we work on big brother ...

in your pic.. that looks like a HUGE plant.. in a small pot ...

can we try again.. with the whole plant ... just to get a flavor of the whole ...

i see he is a very huge, old buddy ... not like my little 18 incher.. which i will have no qualms being done with ...

but i am betting its time for a new pot.. and some new potting media ...

and the tricky part.. is might be in shock from your big move..

there are too many variables.. to give you a quick precise answer ...

jam your finger into that potting media.. one to two inches down .. you will find one of two things..

one ==>> its wet.. and that aint good .. let it dry ... or

two ==>> you cant jam your finger in there thru the matted roots.. which would indicate you need to repot it ..

and 'C' ... if its wet and matted roots.. we need to think about both .. lol.. see.. it jsut keeps getting more complicated ...

lets keep working on it ... i keep coming back to posts i reply too.. until the problem is solved.. or you piss me off.. lol .. and trust me.. you arent even close to that .. the quest for knowledge never irritates me ..

ken

11 years ago

Thanks, Ken, LOL, I'm not a guy.

• Gator69
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks to purpleinoop &to u Ken, it's nice to know their are people who are willing to help me save this great plant.sending pic. of whole plant for u to see as u asked Ken. I can send another of the lower main trunk where the rot is if u want to see it up close....... Also I put my finger down in the soil as u instructed...it was very dense ...roots I guess...& pretty dry. It's been a year sense I moved it across country so I don't think it's still affected by the move, but I could be wrong. Thanks for putting up w/ my computer skills... Lol. Hope this helps u & I Thanks again Gator!!!!!!

• Gator69
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Here is another pic!!!! A little closer......

11 years ago

Your plant looks so good, much better than the original view and your description, and the soil feels dry to you, it makes me hope the white stuff at the soil isn't really involved with the trunk but just on it. Is it firm or mushy there? The part of the trunk affected is in a shadow in your original pic.

If you think there is some rot on the plant, mushiness, you may want to search or just ask for advice about using cinnamon as an antifungal treatment. I've read such but not done it, so firsthand info would be best for you.

Really sounds and looks like a repot consisting of complete soil replacement (with something besides a dense, predominantly peat potting soil) and root trim would help this plant. You may decide it needs a bigger pot when you inspect the roots and see how much should be trimmed. If it's not already, looks like it will get top-heavy soon, prone to being tipped over easily. The bigger pot would help with that, or you could trim some of the upper growth to keep the center of balance as low as possible. (Which brings us back to using those pieces to make cool new baby plants...)

11 years ago

Hey I was typing while you were doing that, but I still can't see the bad part of the trunk well. Totally OT, but taking my kid to a party, back this evening sometime...

• Gator69
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Here is a pic of the problem spot. It is wet right under the bark I pulled back to show u . Very wet & grainy brown stuff. I scrapped some of it off & the white spots are still hard under what I removed just under the bark. Hope this helps u guys.....& girl see better. Thank u both for helping me......Gator

11 years ago

hey purp.. your girlie fingertip in your pic.. gave you away ... plus i think you sign some girlie name now and then..

i have never seen a red tipped jade ...

i had a friend who was a pro guy at this stuff.. his jade was about the size of yours .. but much fuller..

and his pot was 3 to 4 times bigger ...

ken

• Gator69
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks Ken, so did u see the new pics. I sent? So get a bigger pot, go with a dry soil mix w/ perlite about 50/50...? Still not sure about roots..... Do I let them dry a little when I repot my plant... Purple said something about cutting roots... Do u just cut the old pot away from plant & roots & put it in another bigger pot to dry for a few days before adding new soil???? Answer when u get time... U have a life outside of my questions lol!!!!! Thanks Gator PS. I too noticed the girlie fingertip HaHa!! You both have been great to me.........

11 years ago

a dry soil mix w/ perlite about 50/50

==>> where did this pearl of wisdom come from ...

listen to me..

its akin to a cactus .. same water needs .. and i will yell... GET CACTUS MIX ...

you dont know enough ... to be mixing your own stuff .. whats next.. are you going to stroll into the 5 star restaurant kitchen.. and start whipping up some recipes..

then wet the product completely .. PROPERLY ... and then stuff the plant in there. .. [there is no hurry to do all this.. let it dry for a few weeks.. while you follow the instructions below]

this is important ... YOUR PROBLEM IS GOING TO BE MAKING THAT LARGE UNWIELDY PLANT.. STAND UPRIGHT IN LOOSE SOIL ...

and frankly.. i dont know what to tell you about that ...

find the highest end nursery in your area ... CALL THEM.. and ask for the manager .. and ask them if they can help you with this ... and either pay them to do it.. or pay them to help you do it ... if this costs you $50.. is it worth it??? [including the pot.. the media.. and the help ???]

do NOT call on a busy day ... call on monday or tuesday morning.. when they are sitting around.. gazing at their navels ... wondering when spring will come.. lol.. [not a busy sunday afternoon]

with enough calls.. to managers.. you will find someone who will take care of you ...

though i am enjoying your questions ... its really hard ... to put into words ... what one might do .. and forget some important point ...

good luck

ken

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    11 years ago

Search the Cacti & succulents Forum for jade soil mixes, you'll find plenty (link below).

That is rot and that soil looks quite heavy, as in peat based. I'd wager when you repot you'll find surprisingly few roots as they likely have died off. Most folks use rocks to prop up the plant after repotting.

You may want to use a slightly wider and slightly shallower container when you repot.

tj

Here is a link that might be useful: C & S

11 years ago

Sorry, I didn't get back on the computer much over the weekend, and didn't even get through my inbox yesterday morning.

It does look like there's something wrong with that trunk, definitely beyond my experience. I would also encourage you to go to the Cactus forum, and post these pictures there. The folks with experience-based answers will see it there.

Jade plants get red tips outside in the sun. It was plain green when I got it. One of the many things I've learned over at that forum.

• Gator69
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks to u all for advice on my Jad plant! I will go to cactus forum. Sorry I didn't answer sooner. I have been under the weather w/ my health

11 years ago

Get well soon, to you and your plant!

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022