Return to the Garden Clinic Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
tiny tiny brown bug indoors

Posted by fred9x CT (My Page) on
Tue, Dec 7, 10 at 19:32

I'm growing mustard greens and spinach under lights in my basement. My wife found a few very small round bugs on the leaves of the mustard greens. I can't find any on the spinach but the spinach has been growing very slowly compared to last year when I didn't have the mustard greens.

What can I spray?

Thank you

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: tiny tiny brown bug indoors

• Posted by jean001 z8aPortland, OR (My Page) on
    Tue, Dec 7, 10 at 22:47

Because it's on food, and you only have a few whatevers, how about squishing instead of spraying?

o

Jean, surprisingly, my wife seems to be ok with that approach.

Thanks

o

First determine if the very tiny brown bug is doing any harm. The simple presence of any insect means little.
Second determine if any harm this very tiny insect might be doing is too much for you to live with.
Third determine the least toxic means of control. Squishing would be one.
Fourth apply that means of control, if necessary.
Fifth return to step one.
Spraying most any pesticide on food is not something to be done lightly and spraying most pesticides indoors should never be done without a plan to have every living thing leave for some time and then properly airing the living quarters out since many pesticides are harmful to humans even if small doses.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Clinic Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here