Return to the Garden Clinic Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Passion vine pests (?) on stems

Posted by missmandylee 9 (My Page) on
Wed, Dec 5, 12 at 19:39

I have several passion vines along a fence and for the first time, I've seen many pod-type things growing on the stem about 6-12"above ground. They are easily removable and judging from the tiny hole on top, there may be a worm or something inside. They also look like extracted teeth :(. I hope whatever this is is not toxic to my 100' wide vine.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Passion vine pests (?) on stems

They are one of the wax scales, maybe Indian Wax Scale. That red stuff scattered all over the place are the eggs. If you know anything about scale insects in general, you'll know that they can be a challenge to control. Wax scales are especially so.

Now that you know what it is, you'll be able to do some reading about them so that you can make a good decision about what to do.

o

i am surprised rhiz didnt mention her favorite.. horticultural oil ...

which must be timed perfectly.. to when those eggs turn into 'crawlers' and move out from under momma ... it suffocates them ... and if you arent out there with a jewelers loop and miss the exodus ... there is always next year ...

i prefer to go nuclear with scale.. one shot of a systemic product.. and you will be done with scale for years.. on a given plant ... you would have to read the label.. but i would start with bayer tree and shrub ... i know its rated for scale.. i dont know if its this scale.. or usable on PVine ...

ken

Here is a link that might be useful: something like this ... with imidacloprid ... where do they come up with these names.. lol ...

o

If you're going to suggest the systemics, Ken, you should inform Mandy that the nectar and pollen will contain toxic substances that can cause problems for the butterflies, bees, and hummingbirds that are so attracted to passionvine.

In my experience, few people would 'go nuclear' once informed of the very real threat to the nectar loving critters that visit their plants.

o

Scale it is! I will take (both of your) advise and since I see them in only one spot, I'm hoping to nail rid of them asap. Thank you!

o

heck.. if they are in one spot.. just cut off that branch.. wrap in plastic.. run it over with the car.. encase in cement ... and deliver to the nearest salt mine.. and bury them about 200 feet deep ...

can you tell i hate scale ... lol

rhiz.. thats why we have you here ... i am usually dealing with scale on conifer.. and previously euyonomous ... or however you spell it ... those other things dependent on plant saps.. escaped my attention . this time ... and dont use a systemic on veggies you plan on eating either ... or a fruit tree.. etc ..

ken

o

So, if one were to pick off the adults as Mandy did, obviously inadvertently spilling the eggs, are the eggs still viable outside of this casing, or can this break the cycle?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Clinic Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here