Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bonsai88

Sick coffee plant :(

Bonsai88
9 years ago

Hello forum!!! This is my first post and I figured I've been a stalker long enough it was time to join. Happy new year by the way!! I'm in a bit of a pickle with my coffee plant. I've had it for close to a year now and everything was good until my friend out it outside in full sun (25-28 celcious) for a day or two. When I got home the leaves had pretty much burnt and most have fallen off.

This was in July. I haven't seen any growth from it since and I thought it was a goner but now ha I have leaves again!!! My question is should I cut the old leaves off or leave them? Is there any particular fertilizer I should give to help regrowth? Bear in mind I'm in north western canada (Alberta to be exact) and were in the depths of our winter so it's in a south facing window getting sun most of the day although it's not intense light.
Any help is greatly appreciated!!!

Comments (4)

• jean001a
    9 years ago

Any leaf with green on it should remain on the plant because it is helping to keep to keep the plant alive.

If you want to add fertilizer, I suggest you give very small amounts, perhaps 1/4-strength, to help the plant survive.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    9 years ago

how cold is it at night..next to the window??? or what actually looks like a floor to ceiling sliding door ...

the media looks like all peat ...

personally .. i dont fert stressed plants ... they arent hungry.. they are stressed ..

when is the last time it was repotted ...

was it outdoors for summer .. as you know know.. houseplants go outside.. in full shade ...

whats your watering protocol ...

why are the snowmen staring at it ...??

even a damaged leaf.. can photosynthesize .. when it cant.. it falls off by itself ...

why are there tea bags in the pot??? .. i hope you hevent been dumping tea in it also???? .. crikey.. its a coffee plant.. not a tea plant .. lol ...

what is the latin name.. is it literally a coffee tree???? .. because thats all i get when i google the name you gave????

ken

• Bonsai88
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for the replies. Ok from the top.
    How cold by the window? Day time approx. 20-22 celcious night 18-19
    The soil is an organic mix of Promix with mycohizae,a little sheep manure and some perlite.
    It was last repotted in the spring (April 2014) into current container. Was in a small 6 inch pot with roots over flowing literally.
    The plant was only outside for a couple days in FULL sun. That's when I noticed the leaves had burnt so I brought it back inside into an east facing window.
    The snowman are my plant body guards and protect them from evil plant gnomes that rob chlorophyll from the leaves to use as chemical warfare against the dust bunnies.
    Teabags are the result of my lazy now ex wife of tossing them into the houseplant pots instead of taking them out to the compost bin.
    Latin name is coffee arabica. Sorry I knew better than to call it coffee tree. Thanks for your help this far!! This site rocks :)

• jean001a
    9 years ago

What a great use for snowmen! Were they already trained for their job when they came to live with you?
    If so, I want some.
    :)

Edit:
    I don't normally suggest fert for a stressed plant either.

But, because it's in a container, the plant won't be able to acquire anything other than water. Further, watering continues to wash out what few fertilizer elements are present.

Anyway -- That's the reason I suggested such a weak dose.

This post was edited by jean001a on Thu, Jan 1, 15 at 15:37

Sponsored
Re-Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Pittsburgh's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living