Return to the Garden Clinic Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
It's bugging me...

Posted by Leekle2ManE Lady Lake, FL 9a (My Page) on
Fri, Dec 7, 12 at 21:27

Looking to find out just what insect is plaguing my mother's... umm... tree. I'm not even really sure what kind of tree it is. Possibly a sycamore. My first thought was bark beetles, but after looking them up, I don't see the maze of paths and the holes are just too linear. I don't believe it is a woodpecker, as I don't think I've seen one drill lines like this. Plus these holes are all over the tree as far as 20' up. My mother says she hasn't seen any woodpeckers on the tree and if it were only a few holes, I would be willing to think she just missed it. But with so many of them on the tree, I think she would have seen/heard one at some time.

Thank you in advance for any assitance in identifying the culprit(s).

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: It's bugging me...

Figured it out. It is the work of Yellow-Bellied Sapsuckers.

o

Yep, very typical of sapsucker damage.

o

is that huge tree.. seriously ... inches from the house??? .. if so.. you might want to fully ID the tree ... and pay a certified professional .. for an opinion as to its structural stability ... and health ... sapsuckers MIGHT be the least of your problems .... are you in hurricane territory????

can we see a pic of the whole tree .. or perhaps in the tree forum ....

did you remove the bark ... to look at the holes??? .. that is some seriously aggressive sap sucking ....

ken

o

Yeah, it's about 3' from the patio to the base of the trunk. The eaves of the lanai make it look closer, but it is still closer than my mother would like it to have been. It was there when she moved in last spring and where she lives you have to get permission to remove trees. But she is fairly done with listening to the ball-like seedpods (which make me think it's a sycamore) dropping onto her lanai roof. She was actually hoping it would be something a little more serious than sapsuckers so that there would be an incentive to bring the entire thing down and replace it with a Sabal Palmetto or something nicer.

The bark damage is from the sapsuckers. Even the spots higher up where the sapsuckers have drilled are devoid of bark around the scars.

We got nailed pretty hard by the winds from TS Debbie this past summer and the tree took it fairly well. Better than other trees in her neighborhood.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Clinic Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here